Steeton 4

St Helens Town 3

STEETON got back to winning ways in a seven-goal thriller at Cougar Park in Hallmark Security League Division One North.

The two games between the sides have now produced an incredible 17 goals and it was an end-to-end game that had everyone on their seats until the final whistle.

Steeton made one change to the starting line-up from the previous week with Angus Maney recalled to the side as Aaron Davis dropped down to the bench.

The early exchanges saw play swing in both 18-yard boxes, but it was the visitors who took the lead within the first 10 minutes. As Jesse Robinson crossed, the ball eluded Elliot Scott and Andrew Presho slotted it past Joe Mash.

The lead didn’t last long as Steeton were soon back on level terms. Joe Mason’s cross into the box got caught under the defender's foot and, as he looked to clear, he only succeeded in hauling down Andy Briggs. From the resulting spot-kick, Aaron Hollindrake made no mistake.

Mash did well to avert a break from St Helens and Tim Hird’s through ball was intercepted just as Maney looked to break into the box.

The away side regained the lead as Mash didn’t get enough on a punch from a corner and the ball bounced on Hird’s knee into the path of Dominic Whelan who put the ball into an empty net.

The home side continued to push forward and were soon level as Toby Jeffrey’s corner was headed back across the goal by Steve Pearson and Briggs bundled home a leveller.

The second half saw far more pressure from the home side and they went close through a Hollindrake strike before Jeffery curled an effort just over the bar.

Steeton took the lead on 57 minutes and it was another set piece. Jeffrey’s corner was met by Briggs, who headed home from close range, to give the locals the upper hand for the first time in the game.

At the other end, Alistair Morgan did well to head clear and Pearson made a vital block to keep Steeton’s noses in front.

St Helens kept on pressing and their efforts were rewarded as Mash made a superb save but Jesse Robinson reacted the quicker to bundle the sixth goal of the game and restore parity to the game.

Ben Richardson combined well with substitute Davis and the later put Maney through, but the visiting keeper Bowyer did well to smoother the effort as both sides now looked for a winner.

Steeton made a change with James Grogan replacing Richardson following an injury and he did well to drive the side forward.

With only two minutes remaining, Maney picked up the ball and beat two men before firing past Bowyer to win the game for Steeton.

Gary Driscoll came on as a third centre-half to ensure that the game was seen out and Steeton got the three points on the balance of play they just about edged.

Steeton: Mash, Mason, Scott, Morgan, Pearson, Hird, Jeffrey (Driscoll), Richardson (Grogan), Briggs, Hollindrake (Davis), Maney