Oxenhope 3

Kippax 3

OXENHOPE shared the points with Kippax in a thoroughly entertaining, end-to-end encounter in West Yorkshire League Division One.

The game started at a frenetic pace with both teams on the front foot with some hard and physical challenges going in.

On the quarter, the home side had their first real chance when Lee Reilly's shot was blocked, Dan Moriarty and then Scott Nelson both followed up but the Kippax keeper beat both their efforts away.

This was followed by a powerful Moriarty free-kick from distance that went agonisingly just wide of the target.

While at the other end, the Kippax striker got round the back of the home defence and a venomous strike brought a superb save from Oxenhope keeper Steve Davies.

On 40 minutes the home side took the lead. A Moriarty corner was swung in, Reilly's effort was goalbound, but touched out by the keeper, only for defender Luke Scott to head the ball over the line.

Within minutes, Oxenhope doubled their advantage. Nelson set up Reilly, his shot was parried by the keeper, but Nelson followed up to smash the ball into the net.

After the break, Kippax applied the pressure but the Oxenhope defence remained strong and cleared their lines.

Five minutes in, Tom Marshall took the ball down the left flank and set up Reilly. He hit a powerful strike that rattled the Kippax crossbar, only for the visitors to hit the home side on the break.

With Oxenhope back peddling, Dan Scott produced a last-ditch tackle which the referee deemed unfair and the visitors reduced the arrears from the resulting penalty.

Kippax were now in the ascendancy but the midfield pairing of skipper Joe Jalil and Danny Makinson worked tirelessly to wrestle the ball back.

Marshall was enjoying plenty of the ball and he cut into the box and let fly with a ferocious shot hat the keeper just got his fingertips to and touch the ball over the bar.

From the resulting corner, Kippax counter-attacked downfield and their wide man curled in a superb strike from out on the wing that curled in at the far post to level the contest.

The visitors now smelt victory but, as they pressed forwards, Oxenhope took advantage.

Moriarty weaved his way down the right, cut in from the byline and Reilly was on hand to clinically place the ball beyond the keeper.

But back came Kippax and with 10 minutes left they again put in a looping cross that somehow found it's way into the net at the far post to regain parity.

Both sets of players went for the victory, but tired legs took their toll and they had to be settle for a share of the points at the final whistle.

This Saturday, Oxenhope host Goole United from the Hull League in the third round of the County Cup (2pm).

Oxenhope: Davies, Bailey, Scott L, Scott D, Bentham, Makinson, Jalil, Moriarty, Reilly (Day), Nelson, Marshall. Unused sub: Ward

Meanwhile, Oxenhope's second string up turn in form continues with another good all round team performance at Otley Town with a 4-2 victory, in the first round of the West Yorkshire League Trophy.

The Oxenhope goals came from Macauley Smith, Paul Quinlan, Luke Brooksbank and Jake Brearey.

On Saturday. Oxenhope Reserves travel the short distance to Bradley in the third round of the County Trophy (2pm).