Shelley 1

Steeton 1

STEETON ended 2018 with a hard-fought point away to Yorkshire rivals Shelley, with Aaron Hollindrake's first-half header, which was cancelled out only minutes later in their Hallmark Security League Premier Division clash.

The game started with Steeton goalkeeper Alfie Stevens-Neale required to make a save early on. Alistair Morgan cleared, but the ball was picked up by a Shelley man who drove forward but was thwarted.

There was some nice football played by Steeton, but the next two chances still went the way of the hosts. Stevens-Neale on one occasion making a double save to keep the scores level.

Steeton's first real chance of the game came through makeshift left-winger Elliot Scott, who had a right-footed effort saved by the goalkeeper.

Then, a little bit of end-to-end action ensued with Shelley coming forward, before Steeton broke and Andy Briggs forced a good save from the goalkeeper.

Stevie Pearson was to thank as the scored stayed goalless, a contentious offside decision was not given and he was required to make a brilliant covering tackle as the striker bore down on goal.

The next attack resulted in the opening goal. Toby Jeffrey put in a magnificent ball and Hollindrake, under little pressure, managed to head home to put the Chevrons one in front.

However, the lead was to last only three minutes, in similar fashion to the visitors' goal, Shelley put a ball in and Craig Billington managed to head past Stevens-Neale, off the post.

Briggs had a half-chance to put his side back in front, the keeper came off his line to sweep but the effort from the young striker was ballooned wide and over as we approached half time.

Jeffrey looked to get on the scoresheet himself as he came inside and took aim from outside the box, but his left-footed strike was inadequate and dropped past the post.

The second-half started a little bit slower, with Toby Rawcliffe and James Grogan - who was substituted on for injured skipper Tim Hird - attempted to keep the ball and gain some territorial advantage. Hird will be out of action for two months following an operation after suffering a broken cheekbone against Shelley.

It was centre-half Sam Rooke's turn to test the goal. His swivel-and-shot brought out the best of the goalkeeper as he spectacularly tipped over the bar, much to the disbelief of some spectators.

Rooke and Pearson continued their solid partnership, while full-backs Joe Mason and Morgan required to be slightly more reserved as Steeton looked to improve on their result from Boxing Day.

The game was quiet towards the end, with not many noteworthy incidents. A couple of corners and set-pieces each were all there was, as neither stopper was tested.

Steeton: Stevens-Neale, Mason, Scott, Rooke, Pearson, Hird (Grogan 57), Jeffrey, Rawcliffe, Briggs (Maddocks 90+2), Hollindrake, Morgan. Unused: Clarkson, Smith.