Ashton Town 5

Steeton 2

STEETON crashed a heavy defeat at Ashton Town in Hallmark Security League Division One North.

The Chevrons got off to the ideal start when, after only two minutes, Andy Briggs was felled by the home keeper and up stepped Aaron Hollindrake to convert from the spot.

The visitors had chances to increase their lead and Toby Rawcliffe headed wide from a corner. James Grogan went close as Steeton were threatening to get a real foothold on the game.

Ashton started to grow in confidence and they started putting Steeton under a bit of pressure.

Goalkeeper Fletcher Paley, making his debut, dealt with a long-range effort comfortably in the second half when a shot from the edge of the box was straight at him.

With the home side pressing, it was controversial goal that brought parity.

With Steeton pushing up for offside, Daley Woods broke through and neatly lobbed Paley, despite the Steeton protests.

Briggs dragged a shot wide when in a good position as the game now was end to end an exciting from a neutral perspective.

The home side took the lead as a cross from their right was turned in by Bradley Smart on 38 minutes.

That lead was quickly extended as Steeton fell asleep when a ball to the back post wasn’t dealt with and Woods completed his second with a towering header.

Hollindrake shot wide in the closing stages of the half as Steeton looked to get a goal back before the interval.

The second half got off to the worst possible start as Woods completed his hat-trick with a header from the edge of the six-yard box despite the attention of two Steeton defenders.

Angus Maney replaced Alistair Morgan as Steeton looked to get back into the game and it didn’t take long as Steve Pearson thundered a header from Toby Jeffrey's corner into the back of the net.

Maney appeared to be bundled over in the box but the referee waved away the protests.

Steeton at this stage were looking the livelier and Grogan was unlucky as his shot cannoned off the underside of the bar and away to safety.

Sam Rooke then did well to make a last-ditch challenge as the hosts looked to kill the game. They duly did that in the 81st minute as Steeton left Dylan Glass unmarked in the centre and he had the easy job of slotting past Paley for the fifth.

Steeton brought on experienced Andy Holden and Callum Meade for his first game of the season following his pre-season injury.

Steeton are back in action this Saturday when they travel to AFC Blackpool

Steeton: Paley, Mason (Meade), Morgan (Maney), Rooke, Pearson, Grogan (Holden), Jeffrey, Rawcliffe, Briggs, Hollindrake. Subs not used: Clarkson, Maddocks