Nelson 1

Steeton 1

A TOBY Jeffrey strike deep into first half injury time wasn't enough for Steeton as Nelson fought back to gain a share the points in Hallmark Security League Division One North.

After the previous Tuesday night’s long trip to Carlisle City, the Chevrons travelled across the border and into Lancashire on Easter Monday to play their final away game of the season in the spring sunshine.

The visitors almost opened the scoring inside the opening 10 minutes as Jack Richmond found himself through on goal, but the goalkeeper pushed the ball away. Richmond followed up on the rebound but his stabbed shot drifted wide.

Steeton pressed forward again, this time through Jeffrey, but another smart stop from the keeper denied the young winger after 15 minutes.

George Tidswell, who had nothing to do in the opening half-hour, made two splendid stops in quick succession to deny the hosts. First, he tipped away a Charlie Lloyd header and then he denied Elliott Fenton when through on goal.

The hosts had two chances to open the scoring just before half time as Ashley Brierley found himself unmarked in the Steeton box, but the Nelson left-back couldn't keep his shot down. Lloyd then had another chance but his header went wide.

It was Steeton who opened the scoring in the second minute of first half injury-time. Richmond, who caused the home defence problems on the left flank throughout the game, floated the ball to Jeffrey who calmly slotted home the opener.

The Chevrons came out of the blocks in the second half quickly and continued with the same momentum they showed in the first period.

Ben Clarkson found himself through on goal but was brought down just inside the box after a challenge from the defender. The referee deemed it to be a well-timed tackle, which was fortunate for the hosts as it clearly looked like penalty and a probable straight red for the defender.

The hosts pressed for an equaliser and it came after substitute Jeeta Taranjeet found space on the edge of the Steeton area before unleashing a shot which beat Tidswell.

Richmond almost added his name to the score sheet in the closing stages as he found himself on the edge of the Nelson area but his effort went wide of the post.

Nelson had two late attempts to win the game as a bicycle kick from Gareth Hill went just over and another effort from Taranjeet, who was causing the visitors problems, hit the post and bounced back into the gloves of Tidswell.

The Chevrons could have won the game in the final minutes as Richmond had another attempt, latching on to a cross with a half-volley that was but gathered by the keeper.

Steeton did have the ball in the net again after Luke Baldwin fired in but the substitute was deemed to have been offside.

In the end, the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game as both sides had chances to win it. Roy Mason and his Steeton side will go into the final game of the season against Darwen on Saturday in decent form after what has been a rollercoaster of a first season in Division One North.