Silsden 3

Steeton 1

EVER since Silsden were admitted to the North West Counties League they have been excluded from the Keighley Challenge Cup.

With Steeton making a similar move this season, both sides were excluded and so they asked the Keighley & District FA if the Senior Cup could become an annual, end-of-season charity game.

K&D FA gladly obliged and the inaugural game took place on Saturday at the Cobbydale Construction Stadium, before a bumper crowd, with the gate proceeds going to the Sue Ryder Manorlands Hospice.

Silsden started brightly with trialist Liam Hudson delivering a diagonal cross towards the Steeton penalty area. Aidan Kirby’s dummy set up Arley Barnes who fired over the bar.

Silsden continued to press with Hudson going close after a defence-splitting pass from Barnes.

Steeton’s first break forward on 10 minutes led to a free-kick 30 yards out. Aaron Davis’ shot was blocked by the Silsden defensive wall. Toby Jeffrey put over a dangerous cross but Tim Hird couldn’t get a clean-enough contact.

The Cobbydalers took the lead on 15 minutes when Joe Mitchell hit a screamer from 30 yards out.

A similar effort from Mitchell was headed for a corner. He conceded a corner at the other end but Luke Baldwin headed over.

Toby Rawcliffe’s intervention halted Wademan before Mitchell worked the ball to Hudson, who hit a powerful cross shot which fizzed before the far post.

At the other end Davis battled hard to create an opening but his shot lacked venom.

Luke Baldwin then went on a good run before crossing into the danger area, Jack Richmond’s scissor-kick clearing the Silsden bar.

Kirby shot wide after Josh McKiernon had set up an opening. Baldwin hit another cross shot before Moses went close after a slick Silsden break.

Davies just failed to level the scores after Richmond had created an opening before the former Cobbydaler pulled a hamstring for the third time this season.

Barnes rattled the crossbar before, on the stroke of half-time, Kirby put Silsden two up.

Silsden were on the attack at the start of the second half.

Kirby worked an opening but his shot was wide before Wademan’s cross was cleared. Toby Jeffrey broke down the right but there was no end product but Steeton still looked to play some slick football, Rawcliffe, Harrison-Holdsworth and Jeffrey combining well before Moses came to Silsden’s rescue. Jeffrey continued to look the Chevrons’ best outlet.

Silsden killed the game 10 minutes into the second half when McKiernon rifled home Kirby’s cross.

Nevertheless Steeton still searched for a goal. Hird fed Holmes who set up Clarkson but Kaine had spotted the danger.

Lawrence Sorhaindo, on for McKiernon, broke forwards and passed the advancing Steeton keeper Darke but didn’t have the legs to prevent the ball from going out of play.

Tidswell saved Sorhaindo’s deft chip 10 minutes later but got away with it when he fumbled Wademan’s low effort.

Mitchell hit the side netting before Barnes’ free-kick was saved. In the 19th minute Clarkson set up substitute Ben Cox to net a consolation goal.

The Cobbydalers' experience of 15 years in the NWCFL told in the end and Josh Kaine received the Challenge trophy from former Cobbydalers assistant manager Mick Hook, who was instrumental in setting up the match for charity.

Many thanks must go to the members of the Keighley and District FA who, over the last fortnight, have overseen several cup finals in the local area. Without them such games would not take place.

Details on the donation to Manorlands will follow.

Silsden: Darke (Jakovlevs 45), Hudson, Moses, Kaine, Illingworth, Bentham, Barnes, Mitchell, Wademan, Kirby (Rhodes 63), McKiernon (Sorhaindo 63). Subs not used: Ridley, Parsons

Steeton: Tidswell, Rawcliffe, Scott, (Harrison-Holdsworth 45), Morgan, Rooke, Hird, Jeffrey, Richmond, Davis (Holmes 40), Clarkson (Cox 84), Baldwin

Referee: Mr M Gupta. Assistants: Mr C Veighey & Mr C Worswick.