Northwich Victoria 2

Silsden 2

AIDAN Kirby's 92nd-minute penalty equaliser earned Silsden a replay in their FA Cup extra preliminary round tie at Northwich Victoria.

The Cobbydalers travelled to Wincham Park to face The Vics, who have a rich history in the FA Cup, reaching the second round on many occasions, and even reaching the third round in the 2005-06 season, only to be defeated by Sunderland 3-0 at the Stadium of Light.

Last season they beat Silsden in the third round of the FA Vase, eventually being defeated in the semi-final on penalties. They started the present league campaign with a win and a draw.

The Cobbydalers, buoyed by their win at Penistone the previous week, started positively, moving the ball on the floor as the strong wing blew in their faces, and keeping possession with some slick one-touch football.

Early on, Mark Hudson slipped the ball to Josh McKiernon, who turned and fed Kirby, who saw his low shot saved.Team-mate Khurram Shazad was soon creating problems for the home defence before Barnes was forced to clear after Robert Doran had slid the ball to Brandon Barski during Saturday's clash.

Silsden responded with Shazad passing the ball to Kirby who shot over the bar. Silsden were looking dangerous up front.

Meanwhile, Joe Mitchell, the all-action midfielder, was breaking up any advances into the Silsden half.

It was no surprise when the Yorkshiremen took the lead on 14 minutes. It was all down to Shazad, who managed to set up Kirby, who, with his back to goal, back–heeled the ball into the net.

Straight from the kick-off Joe Camozzi was put through by Harvey Whyte, but Silsden goalkeeper Alfie Darke made a fine save.

Shazad curled a left footer before Silsden conceded a corner.

Matty Clarke rose above the Silsden defence to head home. Mitchell then blocked a shot from Harvey Whyte. Craig Bentham made a timely interception before setting up Kirby who shot wide.

Ryan Winder was pulling the strings in the Vic’s midfield but Mitchell’s crunching tackle broke up another break. The ball was moved to Shazad who appeared to be pulled back when advancing on the goal. Darke was saved by the woodwork when Winder’s shot shook the far post.

Barnes and Mitchell broke up another attack before, on the stroke of half time, Laurence Sorhaindo hit the side netting from a tight angle.

The initiative swung in Vics’ favour at the start of the second half. Mitchell conceded a free-kick which was swung in to Robert Doran who headed against the post.

Left-back Mark Everingham then swung over a dangerous cross which hung in the air but Northwich cleared the danger.

After Darke had saved from Crowther, Clarke netted his second to give the home side the advantage.

Kirby tried a speculative effort from 40 yards out which went wide and Mitchell’s shot from outside the penalty area was easy for Taberner.

Kaine denied Robert Doran before Sorhaindo was denied by Barski’s goal-line clearance.

Ben Wignall replaced McKiernon. Then Everingham advanced deep into the hosts' half. He had a golden chance but his effort was well wide.

Waddington then came on for Sorhaindo and his pace and control tested the home defence.

Dan Illingworth came on with eight minutes left to add some muscle and height up front but the Reds were then hampered when Wignall pulled a muscle.

Silsden had to gamble. Kaine and Barnes both broke up counter attacks before Barnes had a shot blocked and Shazad fired over the bar.

The game went into stoppage time. Silsden pressed. The penalty area was packed with bodies. A shot came in; the whistle went, the referee pointed to the penalty spot. Kirby kept his cool to force a replay.

Northwich Victoria: Taberner, Camozzi, Barski, Winder, Kenny, Wilson, Whyte (Connolly 26), Clarke, Doran, Crowther (Toner 68), Grundy (Fleming 76). Subs not used: Henry, Fitzgerald

Silsden: Darke, Hudson (Illingworth 82), Everingham, Kaine, Barnes, Bentham, McKiernon (Wignall 64), Mitchell, Kirby, Shazad, Sorhaindo (Waddington 77). Subs not used: Hardisty-Blackwell, Brown, Wignall, Parchment