Keighley Albion Ladies 52 Cutsyke Raiders 8

A TOP-of-the-table clash was the name of the game on Sunday when League One leaders Keighley faced Cutsyke Raiders, who are second on the ladder.

With a changed squad, Keighley travelled with the usual great support from the array of fans to which the team really do appreciate the support they give.

Due to several missing from their side, Keighley managed to fill the squad with two local Army rugby players and some new faces from the Burnley Union squad willing to help out.

The Cutsyke Raiders began with a squad of 20 and fielded some Castleford Super League players on permit.

Keighley started slowly and, with the Raiders used to playing together, tackled hard and ran some great lines.

After a determined run, Emma Templeton bashed her way through the Raiders' defence to put the ball down over the whitewash. Amy Illingworth added the extras.

Cutsyke were next to score but no extras. Keighley scored again through Templeton.

A repeat performance from Cutsyke with a try out wide levelled up the scores.

A string of mistakes saw Keighley camped out far too long, holding the advancing Raiders at bay.

Cutsyke couldn’t deal with the aggressive tackling from Templeton, Jodee Loader and Shillito and Sarah Cartwright and time seemed to go on and on as the game was stop-start with Cutsyke injuries.

Ackroyd broke free with great attacking play and divided the raiders defensive line to score and Illingworth converted just before the half time whistle for make it 16-8 to Albion.

In the second half, young full back Hollie Haigh collected the Raiders' long kick from underneath the posts and set off at lightening speed towards the advancing defence.

Like a Salmon she weaved in between and left the defence chasing to score under the sticks at the other end.

The twosome Army Girls, Dot King and Kaiya Glynn, tore the middle apart and took some pressure off the forwards to advance the Keighley side up the field.

Glynn was rewarded soon after with a try after a break from Shillito. Illingworth with the conversion.

Loader, with a storming run towards the line, sent a short pass to Illingworth who finished with a dive over the line.

Cutsyke did not give up and Keighley gave it their all with some great efforts and try-saving tackles holding the Raiders from any more points.

Templeton with her third hat-trick in as many weeks stomped her mark all over the Raiders' defence taking them over the whitewash with her.

Sarah Pate and Katie Doney making some solid ground for 42-8 to Albion.

The Raiders were taking the hits hard and several casualties took their toll.

Keighley began to play good rugby with some outstanding efforts and began to gel as a team instead of individuals.

Illingworth, on her last game for Keighley before Halifax Union claim her back, was next to add her second try.

With the clock ticking down, Cartwright turned her terrier tackling around into awesome attack and dived over the line. Illingworth with the extras made it 52-8 for Albion to remain to and unbeaten.

Three player of the matches went to Glynn, Cartwright and Ackroyd.

The ladies have Bank Holiday weekend off and return on Sunday, September 1 for a home clash against Whitley Bay Barbarians.