Silsden 7

Garforth Town 1

SILSDEN entertained Garforth Town in a game which provided some rich entertainment for the home side in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

Town, fourth in the table, unbeaten in the league and still in the FA Vase, were expected to provide a stern test for the Cobbydalers, who had lost their last two games.

Danny Forrest introduced two new signings, Jay Benn at right-back and Jake Taylor-Mountford on the left side of the forward line, both of whom were trainees at Halifax Town. The Cobbydalers were still without Josh Kaine and Matty Moses and Laurence Sorhaindo was unavailable.

True to form Town were soon on the attack but Dan Illingworth broke up two early attacks.

Silsden were guilty of surrendering possession too easily and Sean Hunter broke down the right and crossed to Sam Barker whose weak effort was comfortably saved by Alfie Darke.

Left-back Danny Buttle slung over two dangerous crosses which Illingworth again cleared.

Gradually Silsden settled, Benn releasing Aidan Kirby on the right, the striker’s shot being cleared and then a slick move up the right was halted.

The two new boys soon settled and Benn had a good dribble down the right before feeding Khurram Shazad. A dip of the shoulder and a pass to Kirby ended with Toby Wells making a fine save.

Both sides created half-chances. Benn had a shot cleared and then Josh Brown headed clear at the other end. Shazad slid the ball to Taylor-Mountford whose shot was well saved by Wells.

The game changed in a 15-minute spell before the break.

Joe Mitchell passed the ball up the right and it was crossed to the edge of the penalty area. Inexplicably Joe Colley handled the ball. Penalty. Up stepped Kirby to put the reds ahead.

Silsden began to spread the ball about and create openings.

A superb move up the right saw Barnes feed Khurram, back to Barnes and out to the overlapping Everingham. He crossed to Kirby, who set up Khurram. His shot was saved by Wells but the move signalled the confidence of the Cobbydalers with the new boys settling in quickly.

A minute later Everingham sent Barnes down the right. His cross was met by Taylor-Mountford who drove it home.

Two minutes later Taylor-Mountford got his second, latching on to a through ball from Mitchell before leaving the Town keeper helpless.

Town were shell shocked. Mitchell’s superb curler was tipped over by Wells, but Illingworth netted a fourth on the stroke of half-time.

Town’s Dan Williams went close in the opening minutes of the second half, but the Cobbydalers were soon creating more chances with some slick 'pass and move' football.

Mitchell slid the ball to the marauding Benn who crossed to Taylor-Mountford.

The debutant almost completed a 12-minute hat-trick. Garforth showed some spirit and Illingworth and Brown were forced to charge-down efforts from Dan Williams.

Kirby, who was relishing the support from his team-mates, then netted a brace in the space of two minutes, running onto a through ball before sliding the ball wide of Wells. He completed his hat-trick when Taylor-Mountford broke clear, drew his marker, before sliding the ball to Kirby, who left Wells helpless.

Mitchell almost made it seven before Benn broke his way up the right, cut inside and played a one-two before punishing the visitors.

Taylor-Mountford was unlucky not to complete his hat-trick when his curled effort rattled the crossbar.

Forrest brought on three substitutes for the final 15 minutes. Ben Wignall almost netted a minute later but was denied by Priestly.

Town’s Priestly almost scored with a header at the back post and Sam Barker shot wide before Priestly netted a penalty conceded by Illingworth.

A six-man move ended with Wells making a superb save before Hardisty-Blackwell headed wide at the far post.

Silsden: Darke, Benn, Everingham, Bentham (Hardisty-Blackwell 69), Illingworth, Brown (Hudson 69), Barnes, Mitchell, Kirby (Wignall 69), Shazad, Taylor-Mountford. Subs not used: Higginson, Waddington

Garforth Town: Wells, Slinn (Beaston 45), Buttle, Barker, Turner, Bingley (Kearsley 45), Priestley, Colley, Hunter, Williams, Porritt. Subs not used: Martyn-Wyatt, Simson, Chippendale