DESPITE other events taking place in the surrounding area, the Valley and Keighley Merits were completed at Craven BC with a good number of entries in fine weather for a change.

The Keighley Merit was won after a close game by home star Robbie Ellis, who put his obvious class into play, defeating the experienced Derek Seed, of Settle, 21-17. Losing in the semis were Graham Perry and Gary Bailey, of Whinfield.

In the Supplementary event for the Valley Merit, there was another close game which went to Will Bestwick, of the home club, who just hung on to beat Ian Shepherd, of Steeton, by a single point, 21-20, after the runner-up reached 20 first.

Losing in two one-sided semis were Carol Harrison and Warren Burnett Junior.

Silsden Ladies have retained the Yorkshire Ladies Division One title after a difficult season with the poor weather and the re-arrangement of fixtures after teams dropped out of the league.

They were well clear of their pursuers at the end and go forward to the County’s top team finals at a venue to be announced on October 13.

Cullingworth did well to finish third in Division Two giving them something to build on next year.

The Norman Johnston Floodlit Handicap finals are tonight as the last-eight meet at Broughton Road to bring the curtain down on the Skipton League.

Qualifiers are the three Hargreaves boys from Keighley BC, Chris Wilson, Keith Moore, Paul Drinkall, Graeme Reay and league president Stephen Clamp. Start at 6.30pm.

Sunday sees the Worth Valley Handicap Doubles at Keighley BC but no details are yet to hand regarding the draw and starting times while the Hebden Bridge Champion of Champions is at Oxenhope with an am start.

Saturday sees the completion of the the semi-finals of three Worth Valley Cups prior to the final day on September 28 while the Veteran’s teams K/O round continue until September 30.

The Yorkshire Parks team were well beaten in the County Championship Final by South Yorkshire despite winning the home leg by a narrow margin at Brighouse. A bad defeat in the away leg at Whiteley Woods sealed their fate.