Silsden 0

Yorkshire Amateurs 5

SILSDEN entertained Yorkshire Amateurs at the Cobbydale Construction Stadium hoping to get back on track after successive defeats on the road at Barton and Maltby in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

The Ammies had lost one league game to date and had been knocked out of the FA Cup at Billingham, while progressing in the FA Vase.

This was always going to be a tough task for the Cobbydalers and it proved to be so.

Manager Danny Forrest started in the number nine shirt and Josh Kaine returned after injury. Surprisingly, the reliable Mark Everingham was left out, Arley Barnes dropping to left-back.

Kaine was soon in the action, clearing a through ball before right-back, Jay Benn, slid the ball to Khurram Shazad. He slid the ball to Aidan Kirby, whose shot was deflected for a corner. Kaine headed over.

Forrest then flicked the ball to Kirby who was brought down but play went on.

The Ammies then applied some pressure, Kaine denying the visitors on two occasions, bailing out Craig Bentham, who had failed to control the ball.

The visitors had their first chance on 12 minutes after Adam Field had freed Stephen Crawford.

Ben Higginson saved his low shot. Silsden responded with Bentham crossing to Barnes at the far post. The ball was moved to Shazad, who slid it to Forrest but he failed to control the pass.

Kaine cleared up at the other end after Silsden had surrendered possession.

Joe Mitchell managed to get the ball back off the visitors with two tenacious tackles before sliding the ball to Kirby, who was brought down.

As the ball had touched the referee a dropped-ball was the result.

Steven Crawford was booked for the visitors. Fernando Moore slid a ball between Barnes and Shazad but Mitchell intercepted at the expense of a corner.

Matthew Sykes’ cross found Ryan Serrant, but Higginson saved his header. Forrest was replaced by new signing, Lamin Janneh.

The Cobbydalers broke forwards but were halted by a tackle, which would have resulted in a foul last season.

Silsden have yet to get used to the more physical aspects of the league.

A break from the Ammies own area caught Silsden out. Bentham was well off the pace as Sykes broke down the right wing. He cut inside but didn’t trust his right foot.

A minute later Ashley Finn cut between Illingworth and Kaine to slide in the opener ten minutes from the break, in a classic counter-attack.

Silsden responded with a shot from Bentham from outside the penalty area. It went wide. Illingworth’s through ball just eluded Jake-Taylor Mountford before a powerful run by Benn was halted illegally by Leon Henry, who was cautioned.

Barnes and Shazad combined well down the left on the restart but when the ball was threaded through, the defence didn’t read it.

Since his earlier superb performances Shazad has become more of a peripheral player.

The same can be said about Illingworth, who was so commanding last season.

A poor clearance gave Crawford the chance to free Sykes but he wasted the effort.

It wasn’t long before the visitors doubled their lead. Higginson was left helpless as Crawford’s thunderbolt hit the back of the net.

Silsden had played into the visitors' trap. It was not rocket science and, indeed, somewhat cynical, but the Ammies were two up. Pack the defence, throw bodies on the line and counter attack at pace.

Silsden had to attack. Barnes played a one-two with Shazad before seeing his shot saved. The Ammies countered with Higginson managing to save Flynn’s effort with his feet.

Taylor-Mountford then found Kirby in space. His shot was saved at the near post before the ball was quickly moved to Flynn, who waltzed between Illingworth and Barnes and then shot wide of the far post.

Bentham, Mitchell, and Benn exchanged passes before the former overhit his cross.

Lewis Waddington replaced Taylor-Mountford on 70 minutes.

With Kaine visibly tiring after his lay-off, it might have been better to have brought off the skipper for Everingham and push Barnes into the midfield.

Waddington did head a corner off the line but only to an opponent.

Higginson then made a fine save to deny Flynn but it wasn’t long before the striker left the Kaine in his wake to add a third.

Three-nil down the Cobbydalers were shell shocked. Kirby and Mitchell continued to battle hard but the defence was exposed twice more.

Waddington was easily dispossessed in his opponent’s half. The ball was moved swiftly to Sykes, who left Kaine well behind, before netting the fourth. Fernando Moore rounded Illingworth in stoppage time to make it five.

Silsden: Higginson, Benn, Barnes, Kaine, Illingworth, Bentham, Taylor-Mountford (Waddington 70), Mitchell, Forrest (15), Shazad, Kirby. Subs not used: Everingham, Hardisty-Blackwell, Liam Hudson

Yorkshire Amateurs: Wilczynski, Field, Henry, Daly, Serrant, Moore, Crawford (Tiani 71), Blakey, Flynn, Heaton, Sykes. Subs not used: Shappy, Smith, McLachlan, Hussain