Chadderton 5

Steeton 3

STEETON failed to build on their run of good results when they went down to Chadderton in the North West Counties League Division One North.

The hosts started brightly on a heavy pitch as Daniel McLaughlin headed over from a deep left-wing cross and they then wasted a good opportunity from a free-kick as former Silsden man Reece Lyndon blasted over.

Steeton finally had an opportunity as Toby Jeffrey swung over a cross and Andy Briggs headed straight at the keeper.

Within seconds Chadderton took the lead as Dillan O'Connor drove home a shot from the outside of the box that gave Danny Thorpe no chance in the visitors' goal.

Kayle Price then weaved his way through but lost his footing and his shot was wide of the mark, Thorpe then made a great save as play was flowing from end to end.

Steeton levelled just before the half-hour mark, a long kick by Thorpe was helped on by Price and Briggs steadied himself before calmly slotting home.

Parity wasn't there for long and it was Lyndon who combined with Sam Fitzgerald to put the hosts back in the ascendancy. It was a poor goal to concede for Steeton.

Price then had a half-chance but fired over when he really should have hit the target.

The second half didn't see much improvement from Steeton despite Tawonga Gumboh bursting through, only a fine tackle from Matthews prevented the Steeton man getting his shot away.

Lyndon then proved to be a thorn in Steeton's side and he fired home a third from long range, a goal that Thorpe would be unhappy to have conceded.

Steeton responded by making a change and Dylan Drovi replaced Jeffrey as Steeton looked to get back into the game.

Jack Richmond then replaced Price as they changed the formation and went all out to try and get a goal that would make the last quarter of the game interesting.

Lyndon then effectively sealed the game with his second and Chadderton's fourth goal.

Steeton did pull one back when James Ngoe's strong run forward released Ben Clarkson and he fired home a second for the Chevrons.

With time still on the clock the hope of a comeback was still on. However, a sloppy ball out from the back was punished and Jordan Booth hit a fifth with the aid of a deflection.

Briggs reduced the deficit in injury time, but it was a day to forget for Steeton.

Roy Mason, Steeton manager, said: "After our last few performances yesterday let a lot to be desired.

"We didn’t do any of the things that have got us our recent results and we didn’t keep our shape and I felt that we didn’t show the desire needed to win games at this level.

"We got a foothold in the game at 1-1 but then failed to build on it and we really only had ourselves to blame.

Steeton: Thorpe, Morgan, Scott, Boyd, Leach, Hird, Gumboh (Clarkson), Ngoe, Price (Richmond), Briggs, Jeffrey (Drovi). Sub not used: Maney