STEETON romped home to their biggest win of the season, with a 5-1 demolition of fellow strugglers St Helens at Cougar Park on Saturday in the North West Counties League Division One North.

The home side were straight out of the blocks and attacking midfielder George Beaumont, making his first full start, forced a free-kick in a dangerous position after four minutes.

Toby Jeffrey stepped up to deliver an in-swinging cross into the centre of the box. The ball bounced off two or three players before eventually landing at the feet of defender Alistair Morgan, who made no mistake in smashing it home from close range.

With their noses in front, Steeton pressed. Quick interplay down both flanks, with Beaumont as a pivot in the centre and Kayle Price lively up top, caused uncertainty for the visitors’ defence.

Both Jeffrey and Price had great chances as Steeton dominated, but it was Luke Baldwin who doubled the lead in the ninth minute.

His free-kick from 25 yards was hit with pace and whip, leaving the keeper rooted as it crashed into the top right corner.

The visitors found themselves temporarily down to 10 men when striker Neil Weaver was sin-binned for dissent after a quarter of an hour, but Steeton failed to capitalise on their man advantage.

Marshalled by the excellent Jerry White, the home side’s defence was composed and effective, with St Helens hardly having a sniff at goal.

Steeton’s third arrived in the 40th minute, with 17-year old Beaumont notching his first for the Chevrons from a deflected shot, after great work down the left from Baldwin.

Just before the break, the visitors pulled one back, with Morgan Unoh squeezing between two defenders to slot home past Steeton goalkeeper Danny Thorpe.

Beaumont was unlucky not to grab his second early in the second half when he latched on to Tom Goodall’s free-kick, as Price also came close, firing just wide of the post.

Steeton continued to run riot, scoring a spectacular fourth after 61 minutes. Baldwin’s pressing forced a St Helens midfielder into a mistake on the halfway line, allowing the winger to race down the left flank before unleashing an outrageous angled drive past two defenders and into the far corner.

There was a lengthy stoppage in play when referee Keith Martin pulled up with a hamstring injury midway through the half.

A linesman stepped up to take his place, and Stevie Pearson was called from the crowd to act as the second assistant. But amidst all the confusion, Martin received treatment and was able to finish the match.

St Helens offered little, but did come close to a second with a clever free-kick that almost deceived Thorpe at his near post, but this was easily cleared by White.

Beaumont left the pitch to rapturous applause with five minutes remaining, after a fantastic debut, to be replaced by fellow youngster Harrison Blackwell.

The hosts completed the rout when Price added a fifth in the dying seconds, with a defensive mix up allowing the unmarked teenager to easily slot the ball home.

It was arguably Steeton’s best performance of the season, but the win still sees Roy Mason’s side rooted to the foot of the table, one point off safety.

After the match, he said: “We were on the front foot from the first minute. The front three worried them to death and we thoroughly deserved the points.”

Steeton face a testing few weeks against sides around them, and were due to start that run with a rearranged match against Chadderton at Cougar Park last night (kick-off 7:45pm).

Steeton: Thorpe, Goodall (Carter 89), Maddocks, White, Hird ©, Jeffrey, Preston, Baldwin, Beaumont (Blackwell 84), Price.