ROCK-BOTTOM Steeton fell to a heartbreaking 3-1 home defeat at the hands of Ashton Town in what was very much game of two halves in the North West Counties League First Division North.

After a first half in which Ashton Town constantly peppered the Chevrons goal to go 2-0 up, Steeton came out revitalised in the second half.

They were unfortunate not to snatch a point, as an injury time breakaway wrapped up the three points for the visitors.

Ashton came out the blocks from kick-off firing and took a deserved early lead as Jesse Dowling smashed a delivery across the face of Danny Thorpe’s goal and in at the far post.

They then almost instantly doubled their advantage, but Chad Whyte saw his chip over the Steeton keeper come back off the crossbar.

After surviving a fierce penalty shout for handball, the home side then conceded a dreadful second goal.

Thorpe and Jerry White failed to communicate properly and the latter lobbed the ball over his own keeper, allowing Daley Woods to run round and tap into the empty goal.

Steeton though did have a golden opportunity just before the interval, but a well worked free-kick routine went wide after the Ashton keeper handled outside of his area.

Roy Mason’s half-time team talk seemed to fire some life back into the Chevrons and they came back out all guns blazing for the second half.

Chris Cheetham was forced to make a string of saves in the Ashton goal before Toby Jeffrey nearly caught him out, as his inswinging cross clattered the crossbar.

And with 13 minutes left on the clock, Steeton found the breakthrough they were desperately looking for.

Luke Baldwin collected the ball just outside of the area before turning the defender and striking sweetly into the back of the net from 20 yards out.

The onslaught then came as Steeton's players piled forward in their quest to find the leveller. The best opportunity to do so fell to the normally prolific Kayle Price.

This time it was not to be, as the striker headed over with the goal beckoning.

Then, in injury time, Ashton broke Steeton hearts as they hit the home side ruthlessly on the counter.

After Tim Hird’s attempted clearance came off an Ashton man, the visitors sent the ball into the area, where Alexander McMilan was on hand to seal victory with a tap in.