ROCK-BOTTOM Steeton fell to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Pilkington on Saturday, in a game that they really should have taken something out of.

Despite Storm Dennis doing its best, the home side's 3G surface meant that this North West Counties First Division North game was never in doubt, unlike many others in the league, which fell victim to the weather.

In the cagey opening exchanges, neither side looked like getting a foothold, and as a result both keepers were relatively quiet.

Harrison Blackwell struck the side netting for Steeton, before a long range free kick from Pilkington's Phil Marsh sailed over Fletcher Paley’s crossbar.

Steeton felt hard done by when Kayle Price went down under a challenge in the area from Miguel Gillam, but the referee waved play on, despite the visiting side's protests.

At the other end, the hosts felt aggrieved when Ben Darkins hauled his man down in a late, desperate attempt and was only shown a yellow card.

Luke Baldwin fired a snap shot just over the bar for Steeton, while Marsh dragged a shot wide for the hosts.

The visitors then had their best chance when Steve Pearson played a great ball over the top and Toby Jeffrey found himself one on one.

But Pilkington's debutant keeper, Graeme McCall, did well to close Jeffrey down and smother his shot.

The second period saw Steeton have the wind behind them and they looked to get on to the front foot early on.

Blackwell got a strike in from the edge of the box but it lacked the power to significantly trouble McCall, and that proved costly, as Pilkington took the lead in the 67th minute.

Steeton skipper, Jerry White, got in tangle with his man and from the resulting free kick, Marsh saw his strike hit Pearson on the shin and deflect past Paley, giving him no chance.

It was harsh on Steeton, who had defended well, and in truth there was nothing between the sides.

Mickey Armitage replaced Steeton debutant, Kyle Bartley, and the visitors threw caution to the wind by pushing Pearson into a more central role, as they looked to get back into the game.

But when your luck is out it's out. In the 95th minute, a cross-shot from Marsh was deflected into his own net by Darkins, with what proved to be the last kick of the game.

Steeton manager Roy Mason was disappointed with the score but not the effort, saying: “I felt that we deserved a point and the last two performances have warranted much more than the one point we have yielded.

“The game is often about fine margins and we are close to being a good side. However our knack of not taking our chances in games when we are on top again came back to haunt us.”

The Chevrons are without a game this Saturday and will hope not to lose too much ground on the teams above.

Steeton: Fletcher Paley, Ben Darkins, Alistair Morgan (Elliot Scott), Steve Pearson, Jerry White, Kyle Bartley (Mickey Armitage), Toby Jeffrey, Freddie Maddocks, Kayle Price, Harrison Blackwell, Luke Baldwin (George Beaumont).