STEETON fell at the first hurdle of this season’s Buildbase FA Vase after an agonising penalty shootout defeat at the hands of Jarrow.

After Andy Briggs scored a dramatic 94th-minute equaliser to force the tie to the lottery of penalties, a heartbreaking miss by Freddie Maddocks saw the Chevrons cruelly eliminated.

The first half was an evenly contested affair which saw the visitors take a two-goal lead into the interval as a result of lapses at the back by Steeton.

Jarrow had the first opportunity of the game. Daryll Donelly headed over the crossbar after losing his man at the far post.

This sparked Steeton into life and forced a number of good saves out of Jak Wells in the visitors' goal to deny both Kayle Price and Luke Baldwin.

But the warning signs were there for Roy Mason’s side, and they narrowly avoided falling behind after Ben Wignall made a sensational clearing header off his own line.

However, the Northern League Division Two team would then strike the first blow of an eventful afternoon’s football as confusion reigned at the back. Both Jerry White and Alistair Morgan failed to control the ball, Glen Hargrave took possession and slotted home into the bottom corner.

Whilst the goal was harsh on Steeton, Jarrow would push on for a second and got their rewards. Lee Hetherington got the wrong side of White and raced 30 yards to finish calmly past Jordan Moorhouse.

The hosts came out firing on all cylinders in the second half as they showed great attacking play to press back a tiring Jarrow side.

Frustratingly though, they couldn’t find that goal to get themselves back into the game. Price was denied on a number of occasions with Jake Townsend unable to keep a chance of his own down.

Jarrow created chances of their own though. Liam McBryde dragged his effort wide and Hargrave fired over from close range.

Then the breakthrough came in spectacular fashion. After a cross from Townsend was cleared outside the area, the ball fell to James Wolfenden, who smashed the ball into the top corner from 25 yards with an absolute rocket.

The North East-based club would push for a third goal to kill the game off, but both White and Maddocks made fantastic last-ditch tackles to deny them on the counter.

It appeared that Steeton’s luck, and time, was running out fast. Price was halted by the post and the keeper in quick succession before his header at the far post went inches wide.

Then came the moment of jubilation, as with the last kick on normal time, Briggs fired away a shot on the turn that deflected past the Jarrow keeper to level.

With the shootout level after nine penalties apiece, Wells denied Maddocks to see his into the second round of the FA Vase.