SILSDEN were indebted to a late own goal in their favour on Saturday, as they picked up a fine 3-2 home win over Goole AFC in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

It was the Cobbydalers’ first league win and it came against a team who had already won at Eccleshill United and Albion Sports this season.

Danny Forrest's side were beset by injuries so there were starts for young debutant midfielder Jake Maltby, who is dual registered with Farsley Celtic, and full back Harry Parsons, the Under-23s captain.

Young Robbie Fox stayed up front on the left and Ben Higginson came in for Alfie Darke in goal, who has a minor leg injury.

The pitch had been in perfect condition in the morning but persistent heavy rain made the surface tricky at kick-off time.

Silsden made a bright start and won a penalty on eight minutes when Antony Brown was pulled back when clear. But the striker hit his spot-kick over the bar and it remained goalless.

Brown then had a shot cleared off the goal line, but on 26 minutes, with the Cobbydalers stretched, Anees Younis broke through to put Goole 1-0 up.

Higginson made a good save to deny Josh Schofield just moments later and that meant the Cobbydalers were able to level the scores after 29 minutes.

Carlton Pownall hit a long ball up the left to Khurram Shazad and the striker cut inside the full-back and crashed the ball home to make it 1-1.

A Younis cross saw Schofield tap home at the far post to restore Goole's lead, but despite the visitors then increasing the pressure, Brown turned home an equaliser five minutes before the break.

Brown missed a couple of good second half chances, and it ended up being his replacement, Chris Wademan, who had a big hand in the winner.

It was his cross which forced the unfortunate Joshua Dacre to turn the ball into his own net on 75 minutes.

A superb tackle by Parsons then denied Goole's substitute Tawheed Ahmed before Shazad went close twice.

In the dying minutes, an inswinging Goole corner came back off the crossbar and fell to Schofield.

The ball bounced off him on to the post and slid agonisingly along the goal line before being cleared by Shaun Airey, meaning the Cobbydalers (just) held out for the three points.

Forrest said afterwards: “The new lads fitted in really well, showing composure and maturity.

“With (Joe) Mitchell back in the team and Shazad back to his best we looked much more attractive and dangerous.”

This Saturday, the Cobbydalers entertain Guisborough Town in the Buildbase FA Vase Second Round Qualifying.

The teams have met once before, in 2009, when Silsden were beaten 6-5 in an extraordinary game.