SILSDEN made it three Toolstation Northern Counties East Premier Division away defeats in a row with a frustrating 1-0 defeat at Maltby Main.

A visit to the old Yorkshire coalfield is never easy and it was a tale of two halves. Jonathan Hill's 16th-minute strike separated the two teams in an eventful affair which included a penalty miss.

The Cobbydalers welcomed back Alfie Darke in goal while Myles Foley came in at the back, replacing the injured Dan Illingworth.

Unlike the wide open spaces at Silsden's home, the Miners pitch is narrow with a definite slope, which the home side tried to exploit in the first half.

Darke was soon called into action, denying Jed McGowan, and two minutes later, he also managed to gather Luke Fletcher’s effort from the right wing.

The game was being played largely in the the visitors half on the down slope side, but they defended well. Joe Mitchell broke up one attack and then Sean Airey headed a corner away.

Darke made another fine save to his right, although he was unable to capture the ball. Airey did great to block Hill's follow-up effort.

Main continued to dominate possession and inevitably notched the opener when Fletcher hit a deep cross and Hill headed it home at the back post in a packed goal area.

A minute later, Darke dived at the feet of the marauding Mitchell Dunne to deny the Miners a second. It seemed at this point that it would be a goal fest for Maltby.

Josh Kaine blocked Jonathan Williams’ low shot before the Cobbydalers finally settled.

With Airey employing his experience, Miles Foley found Joe Mitchell, who slid the ball up the wing to Jake Maltby. His powerful shot cleared the bar.

Khurram Shazad came closest to opening Danny Forrest side's account with a curling effort which James Pollard saved.

At the other end, Kaine was put under pressure by the chasing home team. He managed to clear it but when it was swung into the box, the skipper’s dangerous high boot resulted in a penalty.

Darke dived skilfully the right way as Fletcher's spot kick hit the post. This proved to be a turning point.

Wademan, who had seen little of the ball in the first half hour, managed to latch onto Leon Hurles-Brook’s through ball. His powerful shot was deflected wide by a suspected hand which was met by a 'ball to hand' call from the referee.

As the half-time break approached, a perfect tackle by Myles Foley denied Steven Powell, before Airey’s foresight caught the Miners offside.

Silsden began the second half on the offensive. Arley Barnes fired over the bar before Shazad shot wide and Wademan hit the side netting.

A long hopeful ball from Foley wasn’t cleared and Hurles-Brook followed in. Pollard saved on the goal-line.

Darke made a good save low to his right from Dunne while Shazzad's curled effort was deflected goalwards but well saved by Pollard.

Airey and Carlton Pownall were both cautioned for pulling back attackers as Silsden threw men forwards.

Pownall began to prove a threat down the left with power and pace, hitting his strike narrowly wide.

With 10 minutes left, Hurles-Broke hit a superb free-kick to the far post. Foley burst in but his header was narrowly wide.

Twice the Miners broke forwards to the edge of the penalty area and twice they were denied by Darke.

In the end, the home fans were relieved when the final whistle went.