STEETON found themselves on the wrong end of an injury-time goal for the second consecutive match after losing 2-1 to promotion-favourites Golcar United in the North West Counties League First Division North on Saturday.

After surviving early pressure, Ben Wignall put the Chevrons in front midway through the first half, before prolific striker Ash Flynn – who dropped down two divisions to join Golcar this summer – scored from the spot to level the scores at half-time.

But it was late heartbreak for the hosts, Flynn netting the winner in the fifth minute of added time with a smart finish past George Bristol in the Steeton net.

The Huddersfield-based visitors started brightly and were nearly ahead inside the first minute when Flynn rounded Bristol, but he failed to keep his effort down and blasted over the bar.

Golcar again came close in the 10th minute, Buddy Cox directing a shot towards the bottom corner that was superbly diverted around the post by Bristol.

The visitors continued to pile pressure on Steeton, with Jordan Townend almost opening the scoring in spectacular style, but his first-time effort cannoned off the crossbar before the Steeton defence could clear their lines.

But with 25 minutes gone, the Chevrons found themselves in front against the run of play.

From a counter-attack, the ball was worked to Luke Baldwin on the wing, who put in a teasing cross for Wignall to tap past Graham McLachlan.

Bristol denied Flynn what seemed a certain equaliser with a magnificent save before Cox tapped into an open net following a cross, only to be denied by a late offside flag.

Golcar did eventually level the scores from the spot in the 40th minute, Flynn firing the ball into the top corner after Alex Preston had been penalised for handball.

The visitors came out firing in the second half and almost found themselves in front, Flynn firing a header narrowly over the bar following a right-wing cross.

Steeton came forward again, with efforts from Wignall, Kayle Price, Jake Townsend and substitute Andy Briggs repelled by a firm Golcar defence.

Minutes later, Briggs thought he had given the hosts the lead, as he got on the end of Townsend’s cross, but McLachlan in the Golcar net was equal to it.

Flynn came close to adding a second for the visitors, but his effort came back off the inside of the post before being cleared by a Steeton defender.

Another opportunity went begging for the visitors inside the final 10 minutes.

The ball was played into Alex Hallam, who somehow managed to put the ball over from five yards out.

It was then the Chevrons' turn to try to grab a late winner, but a visiting defender put his body on the line to deny Briggs.

The Golcar pressure finally showed as they grabbed the winner in the fifth minute of injury time.

Following a Steeton corner, they countered quickly, with Hallam delivering a teasing cross for an unmarked Flynn to fire in at the back post.

Steeton were denied a penalty in the dying seconds, causing an altercation between the two teams after the final whistle that resulted in McLachlan and Jerry White receiving red cards for violent conduct.

Steeton are back on the road tomorrow night as they make the short trip across the Pennines to play Bacup Borough (8pm kick-off).