SILSDEN travelled to Goole on Tuesday evening hoping to maintain their good run in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division and a Joe Jagger double ensured they did just that.

The 2-0 away win moves them up to third, with only Sherwood Colliery and Grimsby Borough ahead of them.

Cobbydalers boss Danny Forrest was forced to make one change for the Goole clash, with Harry Thompson replacing the unavailable Kyle Hancock.

Young Silsden right-back Lewis Gardner was forced to concede an early corner, with Luke Williams bearing down on goal.

The set-piece was driven in but, fortunately for the Cobbydalers, James Arnold’s powerful header rattled Sammy Lee’s crossbar.

A one-two between Jagger and Jack Normanton saw the former go close with a curling effort, but it was Goole who were edging the early stages, failing to make the most of a couple of half-chances.

Yet Silsden took the lead on 19 minutes.

Working their way up the flanks, the ball was fed to Khurram Shazad, who curled it into the Vikings’ penalty area.

Mo Qasim saw his low shot parried by Richard Watson, but Jagger followed up to give the Cobbydalers the lead.

The goal rocked the home side and Silsden began to dominate.

Shaun Airey hit a cross-field ball to Jake McEneaney, and he sent it into the path of Normanton, who broke up the left and crossed to Jagger 12 yards out.

The striker hit the ball sweetly but his volley just cleared the bar.

The second goal wasn’t long in coming. Normanton sent the ball over to Shazad, who curled the ball towards Jagger to slot home his second, a fine end to a well-worked counter-attack.

Goole started the second half with greater intent, pushing forward quickly, but Silsden were always a threat on the break.

Jagger almost completed his hat-trick five minutes after the restart when he chipped Watson from a tight angle, the keeper just managing to clear the ball off the line.

But Goole soon intensified the pressure on the Silsden defence and a goal looked inevitable for the home side.

With 30 minutes left, Lee saved Luke Williams’ follow-up superbly after substitute Joe Fella had tested the Silsden keeper.

Regan Fish then missed a glorious chance before the Vikings found the net.

Unfortunately for them, the goal was ruled out for offside.

The home side had several more chances to score, especially with Fish sending over crosses into the box from the right.

Substitute Shaun Heselwood headed wide at the far post, as did Silas Valladolid, and Lee got down well to deny Fish.

Christopher Simpkins fired over the bar and in injury-time Heselwood saw his header saved.

Goole, for all their possession and effort, just could not score.

It had been a thrilling game but Silsden took the points.

The next game for the Cobbydalers is on Saturday, September 11, when Albion Sports are the visitors in the FA Vase.

Meanwhile, Silsden’s youth team won their opening game in this season’s FA Youth Cup against Stocksbridge Park Steels on Wednesday, emerging as 3-0 winners.

The Cobbydalers youngsters now entertain Grimsby Borough on September 19 in the next round.