SILSDEN entertained league leaders Grimsby Borough on Saturday in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, and only a superb performance from goalkeeper Sammy Lee prevented it from being any worse than a 3-0 defeat.

The Cobbydalers were rocked in only the second minute when Dan Trott burst up the right, leaving Jake McEneaney in his wake.

He crossed into the path of Reece York, who drove the ball into the Silsden net to make it 1-0.

Arley Barnes then sent over a telling cross for Silsden, which Joe Jagger headed wide.

Trott’s direct running was causing Silsden all sorts of problems, and only brave blocks from Barnes and Shaun Airey kept him out.

Silsden eventually began to apply some pressure, with Jack Normanton testing visiting keeper Liam Higton twice.

The away side were defending with nine or 10 men back, but that allowed them to break at pace.

When Kyle Hancock was dispossessed in midfield, Trott burst through the Silsden rearguard to rifle home midway through the first half to double Grimsby's lead.

Silsden responded and, despite the visitors packing their defence, Jagger fired in a dipping volley which Higton fumbled.

Normanton followed up but the keeper managed to gather his shot.

Khurram Shazad then fired over the bar for Silsden, but with the Cobbydalers playing a high line, they were always vulnerable to the pace of the Grimsby forwards.

Fortunately Lee managed to deny Jack Debnam, in a one-on-one situation, from making it three.

Normanton then fired over the bar, while the Borough keeper saved from Mo Qasim just before the break.

The second half began with Silsden on the back foot, conceding a couple of early corners.

The hosts were unable to break down the packed visiting defence, and time and time again, Grimsby broke at pace, leaving defenders in their wake.

Lee made another fine save before Trott, back in defence, sliced the ball over his own crossbar. The corner was swung in by Shazad but Airey, under pressure, shot wide.

A combination of Matty Moses and Lee denied Debnam a chance and when Ritchie Burdett rounded Barnes, he shot wide.

Lee was superb in twice denying York in one-on-one situations. However, the keeper had no chance when Trott blasted home from a narrow angle on 75 minutes.

Finally, in stoppage time, Dan Illingworth, on for Moses, conceded a controversial penalty.

Debnam hit it low to Lee’s right, but the keeper pushed it on to the post, before denying York's follow-up effort too.

This coming Saturday, Silsden will be looking to bounce back with three points on their travels at AFC Mansfield.

Their teenagers bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the hands of Grimsby Borough too, losing 2-0 to them in their first round qualifying tie last week.