AFTER three defeats on the spin, Silsden have slipped into the lower half of the NCEL Premier Division, with their latest a 2-0 loss at home to Garforth Town on Tuesday night.

But they were desperately unlucky, with Town's goals coming after 87 and 90 minutes, courtesy of Daniel Coupland and Helmo Mendes da Cruz Silva respectively.

Coupland's opener was controversial too to say the least.

Visitors Garforth have moved up to second in the table as a result of their win, and are looking good for a title tilt.

The returning Dan Illingworth was back to full fitness for Silsden and he showed his worth with some fine defending in the early stages.

Gradually Silsden were able to counter, with Jack Normanton curling in a dangerous cross before having a shot saved.

Joe Jagger then put Normanton through, but Miners’ keeper, Toby Wells, dived to his left to flick his shot behind for a corner.

The visitors went close after Arley Barnes had conceded a corner.

Kevin Terhaerdt headed down in the box and the ball bounced up, but Jamie Barkway could only head over Sammy Lee’s bar.

Silsden began to grow in confidence, and a super move involving Connor Thompson, Harry Thompson and Jagger ended with Normanton shooting agonisingly wide of the far post.

With half-time approaching, Barnes cleared Jed Zanos’ diagonal shot off the goal-line.

The half ended goalless, with Normanton failing to capitalise on to Mitchell’s superb through ball late on.

Five minutes into the second half, Normanton sent Khurram Shazad clear, but his shot hit the post with keeper Toby Wells beaten.

At the other end, Lee denied Hass Gorgi on two occasions.

The pressure from the visitors was building but Silva curled his shot wide of the far post, before Miners skipper Coupland twice headed wide.

Finally the deadlock was broken on 87 minutes, albeit in controversial circumstances.

Silsden were awarded a free kick near the halfway line, which they took.

However, there was another ball on the pitch, deep in the Garforth half.

Sportingly, a Silsden defender put the ball into touch.

Protocol should have seen the ball thrown back to the Silsden man to clear it.

But in the confusion that followed, Silsden lost ground and the advantage that they had.

The visitors advanced and Coupland fired into the Silsden net to give his side a late lead.

If that wasn’t enough, in stoppage time, Silva rubbed salt into the wound with a second goal.

Silsden’s next league game is this Saturday, away against Staveley Miners Welfare. Kick off is at 3pm.