SATURDAY saw another win on the road for Keighley, as they ground out a 13-0 victory at Ripon in Yorkshire Two to go top of the table.

On a really wet day, Keighley took little heed of the weather conditions, choosing to impose their brand of open rugby at every opportunity.

The pace of play at the start caught Ripon off guard.

The Keighley forwards were quick and determined and series of pick and drives, and strong carries from all members of the pack, gave scrum half George Marshall and outside half Alex Brown a platform to control the flow of the game.

A promising thrust down the wing saw winger Alan Ebbrell stopped just short of the line.

However, Keighley maintained the pressure and field position.

Some hard yards gained by carries from their big prop Sam Booker, who was well supported by other pack members, gave the backs good quick ball, which led to a well-taken try in the corner for centre Sean Kelly.

Ripon, operating with limited possession, were unable to make any sort of headway against a solid Keighley defence.

Keighley then moved the ball wide, giving winger Ebbrell some space, and he beat a number of defenders to score wide out.

Eventually, after the early blitz, Ripon recovered their composure and were able to absorb the Keighley pressure.

Ripon’s lineout and scrum were solid, which gave them good possession and allowed them to launch a series of forward based attacks down the middle.

But with Keighley centres Kelly and Adam Horsfall and the back row in determined mood, Ripon were unable to make any real headway.

In the second half, Ripon gained a greater proportion of possession, often from a large number of penalties.

They attempted to probe wide out and through the middle, but any hopes they had of scoring were snuffed out by Keighley’s excellent first up defence.

Given the poor weather conditions, both teams were guilty of inaccuracy, the outcome of which was a midfield arm wrestle, with defences dominating.

Ripon, in many respects, had marginally the better of the second half, but were unable to break Keighley down.

The only score in the whole of the second period was a Keighley penalty from Brown.

In the last 10 minutes of the game, Keighley raised the pace of their game thanks to the back row, but for all of the away side’s hard work and endeavour, Ripon held firm.

Keighley have a free week now, but will look to continue their winning ways in the league at home to South Yorkshire side Wheatley Hills on Saturday, October 16.