THERE were no shocks in the first round of the Halifax League’s Parish Cup, but Premier Division Great Horton Park Chapel had to fight to survive.

Second Division Mount scored 161, with Mahmad Kayat (54) and Anees Rawat (41) being the main contributors.

Great Horton were 116-5 in reply, and it needed 60 not out from skipper Adam Beesley to see them to a four-wicket victory.

Second Division Southowram, despite losing at top-flight Thornton by four wickets, also came away having made a good impression after been inserted and scoring 176, Richard Veal hitting an excellent 81.

The home team required 43.1 overs to reach 178-6 and gain victory, Thomas Harrison (48) top-scoring in a usually prolific line-up.

Oxenhope had much the better of their tie with Clayton as they won by 71 runs.

Batting first, the top score of the day was recorded by Oxenhope’s Joseph Ousey, who hammered a terrific 132 in 72 balls that included nine fours and 12 sixes.

The visitors were always behind the clock and their innings fizzled out at 167, with Connor Ambler (46) making the best effort.

In an all-Second Division clash, Upper Hopton struggled in their chase of home team Cullingworth’s 153, in which Bilal Kahlid hit 88, and they were left becalmed, taking 45 overs to score 115-9 in reply.

Oliver Hemingway’s 4-10 was the best bowling for Shelf Northowram Hedge Top as they despatched their Leymoor hosts for a meagre 69.

James Fearnley (51no) led a very quick win for the visitors as they easily reached 72-0.

Sowerby St Peter’s returned to Low Moor Holy Trinity after last week’s narrow league win, and came away with a much more comfortable seven-wicket victory.

After bowling out the home team for 156, Hayden Bruce (74no) and Muhammad Yousaf (48) combined in an 81-run partnership to ensure a place in the second round at 159-3.

At Queensbury, 16 wickets fell for a meagre 120 runs as the hosts ran out winners by four wickets versus Bradley and Colnebridge.

For the visitors, nine batters managed a cumulative eight runs in a total of 57, Max Rawson (4-8) and Gareth Walker (4-15) causing most of the problems.

Queensbury too struggled, and at 47-6 a nervous few minutes ensued until 63-6 was reached as Rawson hit a six to win the tie.

The first round of the Crossley Shield, for second teams, was remarkable in that seven Premier Division sides were ousted.