SILSDEN were knocked out of the West Riding County Cup last night after a dramatic penalty shootout.

Their first-round clash at Garforth Town went to spot-kicks after Adam Clayton’s last-gasp equaliser in a 1-1 draw.

Both sides scored their first five penalties, and after a chaotic sudden death period, poor youngster Lewis Gardner was the fall guy.

He missed his side’s eighth attempt, as Garforth won the shootout 7-6.

After an early scare for Silsden which saw Town put an effort wide from the edge of the box, they soon got on top.

Dom Craig’s deflected shot went just past the post, before Garforth’s keeper Harry Flatters tipped Casey Stewart’s strike behind.

Stewart then had a stinging drive palmed away after good hold up play from Reece Webb-Foster.

Webb-Foster bent an effort of his own narrowly wide moments later and Silsden were immediately back on the attack, Arley Barnes flashing a shot just beyond the upright.

But Garforth came closer than anyone on the half-hour mark, as a misplaced header back to Silsden keeper Kyle Trennery came back off the post.

Stewart then had a low shot held by the keeper as the two sides went into the break level.

Garforth looked like a different animal at the start of the second half and after forcing Trennery into a save at his near post before heading wide from a free-kick, they took the lead.

Keighley News: Kyle Trennery's goal came under fire at the start of the second half.Kyle Trennery's goal came under fire at the start of the second half. (Image: Linda Gartland.)

Jamie Barkway was the goalscorer, as he headed home from a corner on 57 minutes.

Stewart’s shot on the hour mark flew wide, while the hosts missed with a similar effort moments later.

Garforth had a goal disallowed with 15 minutes to go for offside, before Silsden levelled the game in injury-time.

Defender Clayton was the unlikely hero, curling home a beauty from the edge of the box.

Garforth still nearly nicked the winner, but after their man rounded Trennery, Spencer Harris was on hand to deny him with a goal-saving challenge.

Stewart, Cody Cromack, Kayle Price, Harris and Jacob Smith tucked away Silsden’s first five penalties in the shootout, but Garforth were perfect from the spot themselves.

Yet when Kyle Trennery saved their sixth attempt, Harry Thompson had the chance to win the game.

But his strike was saved by Flatters, before two successful attempts, Silsden’s from Adam Clayton, took the score to 6-6.

Flatters stepped up to score himself for 7-6, with Gardner’s subsequent miss sending Garforth through.

Silsden will look to bounce back this weekend in the FA Vase first round, as they visit Redcar Athletic.

The game should have been played last Saturday, but was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.