Evo-Stik League Premier Division: Farsley Celtic 1 Matlock Town 2

AFTER climbing back into the play-off places in the Evo-Stik League Premier Division with a home win at the weekend, the Celts dropped back out of the top five last night following a home loss to the Gladiators.

Matlock Town won at Throstle Nest thanks to two breakaway goals from Harry Limb.

The visitors broke the deadlock midway through the first half when Limb raced through and steered a shot past keeper Graeme McKibbon.

Farsley hit back on the stroke of half-time when skipper Danny Ellis flicked on a header.

Right back Lewis Turner was first to the ball and his shot beat visiting keeper Phil Barnes.

The home side had started well but it was a subdued overall performance and just eight minutes into the second half, Limb broke the offside trap and netted what proved to be the winner.

Elsewhere there was more bad news for Silsden after a third red card in two games but the Cobbydalers recovered to bounce back from Saturday’s defeat as they remain at the summit of Division One in the Hallmark Security League.

Danny Forrest’s men hosted Bacup Borough but found it difficult early on against the struggling Lancashire side.

The Cobbydalers had created good early chances but must have feared the worst after forward Joe Gaughan was shown a straight red in the 26th minute following a challenge.

However, minutes later Niall Sultan was fouled in the area and Chris Wademan stepped up to fire the resulting spot kick out of Boro keeper Nick Sharples’ reach.

Sultan, straight red, and Gaughan for a second yellow card, were the men dismissed the previous Saturday as Silsden ended with nine men and lost 2-1 at home to promotion rivals Whitchurch Alport.

Last night’s odds came back in favour of the Cobbydalers as visitors Boro also went down to ten men, with Martin Cosgrove picking up a second yellow card for a handball before the hour.

With parity restored, Silsden were able to pile the pressure on, and they went in search of a winner, but it took them a while.

With just over two minutes of regulation time remaining, Sultan was gifted time and space by the visitors’ defence and he lashed a shot past Sharples.

The victory extended the Cobbydalers’ lead to 15 points but they have now played four games more than second-placed Litherland REMYCA, who they host this weekend.