Keighley FA Supplementary Cup quarter-final: Oxenhope Reserves 3 Keighley Veterans 0

OXENHOPE Reserves secured their place in the semi-finals with victory over a determined and experienced Keighley Veterans side.

The soft, wet Marley pitch cut up as the game progressed and in the end turned into a mud bath.

The home side took the lead after just five minutes when Connor Pepper received the ball out on the left, went past his marker and struck a firm shot from the edge of the box into the top right corner of the net.

Oxenhope remained on the front foot with Pepper and Will Lee both being denied by Vets keeper Paul Linyard.

The constant pressure eventually told though when a loose clearance was collected by right wing back Danny Makinson, who took a touch before slotting home into the bottom right corner from the edge of the box.

The hosts kept up the barrage but the Vets' back line, marshalled by Adam Ackroyd, held firm. The visitors came more into the game and were always dangerous on the break with Joe Brady and Mathew Storton a threat down the flanks.

Early in the second period both sides had chances, Lee having the best opportunity to increase the home side’s advantage when he broke through on goal but Linyard was quickly off his line to make a brave diving save at his feet.

On 70 minutes Oxenhope made the tie safe when wing back Paul Quinlan broke down the left, cut into the box and evaded a last-ditch tackle before smashing the ball past Linyard into the top of the net.

Even in the heavy conditions the Veterans never gave up the battle and were denied a well-deserved goal in the final minutes when Oxenhope keeper Ricky Driver pulled off a top-drawer save, getting a strong hand down to turn the ball round the post.

This Saturday the reserves are in cup action again when they travel to Wetherby Reserves in a West Yorkshire League Trophy third-round tie (2.30pm).

Oxenhope Res: Driver R, Makinson, Ellison, Fothergill, Pullan, Quinlan P, Hardy, Nelson D (Scott J), Lee, Dyson(Davies), Pepper (Bonner).