FIREFIGHTERS were called out to deal with a blaze in an electrical consumer unit at a Keighley property.

Occupants of the third-floor flat in Alkincote Street raised the alarm at about 7.20pm yesterday.

Crews from Keighley, Bingley and Silsden fire stations attended.

After isolating the electricity supply, they used a hose reel jet to tackle the flames and two special high-pressure fans to help clear smoke from the flat.

The fire was contained to the unit but there was some smoke damage to the property.

No working smoke alarms were fitted so the firefighters installed some before leaving.

"Once again we would urge people to ensure they have working smoke detectors in their property," said watch commander Ahsan Ali, of Keighley Fire Station.