A FIFTH-floor flat in Keighley was smoke damaged after a fire broke out yesterday evening.

Firefighters from Keighley, Bingley, Illingworth, Fairweather Green and Bradford attended the incident, at Ebor Court, Westgate Gardens.

The alarm was raised at about 6.30pm.

The occupant had put a damp blanket over the fire and extinguished it – and then evacuated the flat – before the firefighters arrived.

But the flat was heavily smoke-logged, and fire crews used special high-pressure fans to help clear it.

The cause of the fire was accidental.