AN excellent goalkeeping performance by Kyle Welsh and a strong Silsden defence kept Staveley Miners Welfare at bay in a 2-0 win in windy conditions on Saturday.

For the fourth Saturday on the run the wind made conditions difficult.

The visitors to “The Office Interiors” stadium were Staveley Miners Welfare, the in-form team in the league with a run from the start of the year of six victories and one defeat.

That said, the Cobbydalers have drawn away at two of the top three, Grimsby Borough and Garforth Town. Silsden face second-placed Eccleshill United away next Saturday.

Danny Forest played a similar team as a week ago, retaining Kyle Welsh in goal but bringing in Mark Everingham at left back in place of Lewis Gardner.

The Cobbydalers played “against” the wind in the opening half, although the wind was very unpredictable, swirling and strong. A drop in the wind after the kick-off saw Brad Riley set up Jack Normanton. The Trojans' keeper saved low down.

At the other end Carlton Pownall made two interceptions to deny the visitors a shot on goal, before Cody Prior rifled in a low shot, which Welsh did well to save.

Silsden tried to keep the ball on the floor, with some short passes, whilst Staveley tried to use the wind. Arley Barnes headed a free-kick clear and Welsh made another fine save on fifteen minutes.

Normanton was injured following a dangerous tackle, then Bradshaw was pole-axed with a clearance in the Trojan’s box.

Tyler Dunne wasted a golden opportunity to put the visitors ahead, slipping the ball wide of the far post, before Welsh saved his next effort.

With 15 minutes gone, Khurram Shazad created two openings but both caught on the wind, curling back from the penalty area.

Both Barnes and Jake McEneaney were called upon to break down attacks, aided by the experienced pairing of Joe Mitchell and Kyle Hancock in the midfield, who broke up several attacks to release the Silsden front men.

After neat football from Shazad, the opener for the Cobbydalers came on 32 minutes when Normanton netted after his first shot had been parried by Rio Alberry.

The response was immediate with a break down the right. Ewan Catt saw his attempt saved by Welsh. Further shots from Declan Howe and Jack Dillingham were blocked.

A rare sortie forwards saw Hancock shooting wide, before Bradshaw set up Khurram who cleared the bar.

With five minutes of the half remaining, Dillingham crossed into the Silsden area. Both Howe and Dunn wasted good chances. With the half-time whistle beckoning, Silsden almost made it two. Normanton rattled the bar and Bradshaw’s follow-up hit the far post.

Staveley started the second half with increased determination but McEneaney and Hancock broke up attacks.

Ten minutes into the half, Normanton was sent down the right. The ball was crossed into the danger area. Alberry fumbled the ball and Bradshaw made it two.

Despite the setback, the Trojans still created half chances. McEneany cleared twice as the visitors used the wind to push forwards. A back pass from Barnes caught the wind and looked to be heading for the net but Welsh tipped the ball over the bar.

McEneaney then blocked an effort from Prior before Welsh slipped whist saving a Dillingham low shot. McEneaney cleared.

With 20 minutes left, Welsh made a brilliant save from Charley Oglesby at close range. It wasn’t to be the Miners' day.

Substitute Tomas Poole brought another outstanding save from the Silsden keeper. Riley and Normanton, who had done so much running, were replaced by Lewis Gardner and Finn Donovan.

Gardner’s pace took him up to the by-line. He crossed to Shazad who shot just wide of the far post. If anyone deserved a goal, at the other end, it was Howe. A brilliant dribble past three defenders ended when he fired over the Silsden cross bar.