SILSDEN began their FA Cup journey with a 1-0 win over ten-man Burscough thanks to a late own goal.

Although the visitors were down to 10 men for almost 65 minutes to Burscough in the cup’s extra preliminary round, it looked as though the North West Counties Premier League side might force a replay.

However, a late Antony Brown shot was turned in by Josh Dobie, giving The Cobbydaler’s their second consecutive 1-0 win and seeing them through to the preliminary round where they will take on either Yorkshire Amateur or Charnock Richard.


In a back-and-forth first half, Silsden survived an early scare when Brad Elms fired over from six yards. They would quickly grow into the game however. Luke Brooksbank found himself in behind on the right-hand side and looked to cross when he perhaps should have taken the shot on himself.

New midfielder Talent Ndlovu looked a real handful for the hosts and would carve out their best chance in the opening 45 minutes. Determined tackling from the Zimbabwean followed by a neat pass sent in Jos Bradshaw but he could only dink his effort wide of the post in the clash at Silsden’s Office Interiors Stadium.

The tie changed dynamic when Linnet’s midfielder Louis Sharp dove in recklessly on Jacob Smith, leaving the referee little choice but to dismiss him.

Smith was able to continue for the full remainder of the game, much to the relief of the Silsden Fans who witnessed injuries to centre halves Alex Laird and Sam Bradley in last week’s league opener.

Despite the man advantage, The Cobbydaler’s struggled to forge clear-cut chances. On 68 minutes a cross from the left found an unmarked Arale Mohamed but he could only volley wide from a tight angle.

This was followed by Bradshaw using his strength well to create some space in the box, but seeing his half-volleyed effort deflect wide for a corner.

A breakthrough would be found by the hosts on 85 minutes. Brown was allowed space in the penalty area and his low drive was turned in by Burscough defender Dobie, sparking big celebrations from the 140-strong crowd.

While Brown would have two more chances late on, both would be denied by visiting goalkeeper Abidan Edwards, leaving the final score as 1-0.

The result means Silsden have won back-to-back competitive games for the first time since February, giving the side plenty of confidence heading into their next league clash.

The Cobbydalers have a break from league action this weekend and next travel to Frickley Athletic in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division on Tuesday, August 16 (7.45pm kick-off).

This will be followed by their next FA Cup clash, in the preliminary round on Saturday, August 20 (3pm kick-off).

Meanwhile, Silsden supporters can still grab a season ticket for the new campaign.

They are priced £80 for adults and £40 for concessions.

For more information, go to the ticket office at the Office Interiors Stadium in Keighhley Road, Silsden.