A DERELICT farm complex could be transformed into a new Bronte visitor attraction.

Patrick Bronte met and married his wife Maria Branwell in 1812 while living at the site, then known as Lousy Farm, in Liversedge.

Patrick held a curacy in Hartshead at the time.

The couple’s two eldest children, Maria and Elizabeth, were both believed to have been born there.

The family left in 1815 when Patrick took up a ministry in Thornton.

Charlotte, Branwell, Emily and Anne were all born subsequently.

And the family moved into Haworth Parsonage, with which the literary siblings are inextricably linked, in 1820.

Patrick, who outlived all his children, died in 1861.

The Liversedge complex, now called Thornbush Farm, includes a Grade II-listed farmhouse.

A planning application submitted to Kirklees Council by property development company Jan Capital Ltd is seeking permission to redevelop the site, creating attractions including exhibition space, a cafe, shop and classrooms for lectures and school visits.

The scheme would see the farmhouse, piggery and adjacent building restored to their original condition, the rebuilding of a single-storey lean-to to the north and two-storey building between the farmhouse and piggery, plus the restoration of two outbuildings.

A design and access statement produced to accompany the plans says that the farmhouse will be the main visitor attraction, outlining a "little known" story of the Bronte family.

It adds: "The two-storey building to be reconstructed will be used as an exhibition space and the piggery will become a cafe and shop, with two classroom areas to allow for lectures and school visits.

"The piggery will also be extended to ensure there is enough space to accommodate the school visits, and historical societies."

The main farmhouse is described as being in a "very poor condition" and "too dangerous to enter".

A drone has been used to photograph inside the building, but it will not be until the most dangerous elements have been removed that the historic features can be fully recorded.

Roof tiles are missing on three of the buildings, with rafters exposed for the past five years.

In addition, a previous extension has been removed, and a two-storey building has also been demolished.

“The isolated nature of the site has led to the deterioration and to the theft of all material,” it adds.

The farmhouse is built in natural coursed stone and would have had a stone slate roof, but this is missing.