TWO separate fires struck a historic Keighley mill within the space of 12 hours - with one of the blazes being treated as suspicious, it has emerged.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) has confirmed crews from across the county attended a blaze at Dalton Mills in Dalton Lane, Keighley, last night  - and then dealt with another one this morning.

Last night's fire is being treated as arson, according to West Yorkshire Police.

The cause of this morning's blaze is currently under investigation.

Keighley News: Crews at the scene earlierCrews at the scene earlier (Image: Will Smith)

A huge fire ripped through the Grade II*-listed building in 2022, and two teenagers were charged with arson earlier this year. The two 17-year-olds, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are next due to appear in court in August.

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police told the Telegraph & Argus: "At 7.37pm yesterday, police were contacted by the fire service who were attending a fire at Dalton Mills, Dalton Lane, Keighley, a derelict building that had been extensively damaged by fire previously.

"The circumstances are believed to be suspicious, and the incident is being treated as arson.

"Anyone who witnessed anything suspicious or who has any information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact officers via 101 or online at, quoting crime reference 13240310081."

A spokesperson from WYFRS said the call about last night's fire at the 150-year-old site came in at 7.20pm.

They described it as a "large mill fire", with six fire engines and an aerial appliance in attendance. 

"Four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and one large 45mm jet were used to tackle the fire," the spokesperson added.

"Crews left the scene at 10.38pm."

Then, at around 7.15am today, ten crews backed up by an aerial appliance rushed to the mill complex, which has appeared in TV shows including Peaky Blinders and Downton Abbey.

The WYFRS spokesperson said: "We received this call at 7.14am.

"This fire was on the third and fourth floors of the building, 40 per cent involved in fire.

"Crews used hose reels and jets to tackle the flames."

By 9.30am, the fire was out and firefighters were damping down at the scene.

In an update two hours later, the spokesperson said: "Operational crews have now left the scene.

"Investigations will take place into the cause of the fire."