This between-the-wars Keighley view along East Parade has changed drastically with the demolition of Alexandra and Low Street Mills seen here on the right.

The small shop nearest the camera on the left became a well-known newsagent’s, run by John Tollins, who had previously worked in the Keighley distribution office of the Telegraph & Argus, until his retirement in 1959, then by Margaret Tollins, his daughter.

During the 1920s – about the time of this photograph – East Parade was chosen for an experimental use of brick as a road surface.

This was supposed to wear well, be non-absorbent, provide a foothold, cause little noise, and be easy to clean and repair. However, the idea seems not to have caught on.

The photograph has been supplied by Mr Kevin Seaton, of Shann Lane, Keighley.