A retired painter and decorator who was exposed to asbestos during his life-long career died of an industrial disease, a coroner has ruled.

An inquest in Bradford on Friday heard grandfather Brian Potts, 65, of Crossfield Road, Keighley, had been in contact with the deadly substance through his work and died after developing mesothelioma.

The inquest was told Mr Potts visited his doctor complaining of chest pain last June and, after tests, was diagnosed with the asbestos-related disease.

He was given chemotherapy, but “reacted badly” to it and was admitted to Manorlands hospice, where he died on February 2.

Dr David Goldsborough, who carried out a post-mortem, gave the cause of death as bronco-pneumonia caused by asbestos fibre load in the lungs.

Bradford coroner Peter Straker read evidence from a colleague of Mr Potts, Ian Bailey, who told how he had worked on pub refurbishments at the same time as joiners, who would cut through asbestolux sheets.

“It created dust that everyone breathed in,” he said in a statement.

Mr Straker recorded a verdict that Mr Potts had died of industrial disease.