THE Flexible Football West Riding County FA Under-21 League form book was turned upside down as struggling Brighouse Town beat third-placed Ossett Albion 1-0.

Two evenly-matched sides went toe to toe in what looked like being a goalless Premier Division draw – before Jaydon Armstrong scored a late winner from a corner.

Town assistant manager Barry Thomas said: "Both defences dominated but we did create more half-chances than Ossett.

"This was due to the good movement of Brad Birkhead up front and Finn Donovan's outstanding display on the wing."

Bottom side Thackley have played two matches recently, winning 9-3 against Malt Shovel and losing 2-1 to Silsden.

The Dennyboys finally found their shooting boots and were ahead as early as the fourth minute against Malt when Joel Beattie crossed for Tawonga Gumbah to score.

A further two goals came from Gumbah to complete his hat-trick, with Beattie (2), Kingsley Rowe-Depass (2), Mamadou Conteh and Talent Ndlovu making up the tally.

Thackley joint-manager Nathan Priestley said: "Malt Shovel had two players sent off towards the end of the match, and we took advantage of this, but we should have scored more goals."

Silsden sent a weakened team to Thackley on a bitterly cold night but came away with a well-deserved victory.

In a tight first half, which had few clear-cut chances, the Cobbydalers controlled possession in midfield with little real impact.

Thackley's constant long-ball game rarely threatened the visitors' defence, although the hosts felt they could have been two goals ahead.

A tactical switch at half-time, moving the impressive Callan Wells from right back to left midfield, brought immediate dividends.

He leapt highest to open the scoring with a thumping header at the back post from Aaron Davis's exquisite cross.

Silsden continued to pressurise Thackley, who were showing the visitors too much respect, and netted a second on 60 minutes.

Jack Wrigglesworth showed his strength to hold the ball up and squared it to the onrushing Ben Cox to run through Thackley's defence and score.

Despite the majority of play and possession, the Cobbydalers were unable to add to the scoring.

When Thackley replied via Joe Keen after 75 minutes, just moments after Cox received a second yellow card, the last 15 minutes proved a nervier period than the preceding hour.

However, despite their numerical advantage, Thackley never looked like scoring again – and Silsden had a third goal disallowed for a marginal offside moments before the final whistle.