Steeton 2

Silsden Whitestar 1

STEETON came from behind in extra-time to lift the Keighley & District FA Challenge Cup with a 2-1 victory over Silsden Whitestar.

Whitestar took the lead on the stroke of half-time through Josh Metcalfe’s strike, but Steeton rallied in the second period.

Two goals from substitute striker Graham Holmes, including a winner after regular time, secured their first cup final win since 2013.

In front of one of the biggest crowds for the final, it was Whitestar who had the first chance, but Metcalfe failed to apply the right finish.

Steeton had limited opportunities in the early exchanges and an Andy Holden free-kick was the closest they went.

Whitestar took the lead just before the break when Olly Hunter found Metcalfe, who did well to compose himself and slip the ball past Joe Mash in the Steeton goal.

The second period saw Steeton step things up and despite putting Whitestar under pressure, chances came and went – Steve Pearson had a header that went over the bar from a Holden corner.

Steeton then introduced Joe Park and Holmes to the fray and with time running out, Holmes bore down on goal and tucked the ball into the net to level things up.

Whitestar came back on the attack, however, and Mash produced a flying save to deny Oli Peacock, who looked a looked a certain scorer. Metcalfe should then have done better to direct his header away from the Steeton stopper.

Neither side could snatch a winner in regular time and both teams looked visibly tired as the game entered extra-time.

But Steeton’s Toby Jeffrey robbed Andy Kay on the halfway line and surged forward, before pulling the ball back to Alex Yates. It was his deft flick into the path of Holmes which allowed the Steeton forward to fire home the winner from close range.

Whitestar had fought valiantly, but Steeton’s fitness levels ultimately told as they ended a five-year wait to get their hands on the trophy.

Steeton were back in league action on Bank Holiday Monday and beat Littletown 4-2. A brace from Alex Yates, Alistair Morgan’s strike and an own goal set them up for tonight's League Cup semi-final with Route One Rovers at Campion.