Steeton 4

Campion 0

STEETON rounded off a great season with a convincing 4-0 win over Campion in the West Riding County Amateur Premier Division League Cup Final.

With Ben Clarkson suffering a freak accident on Thursday night which required four stitches in a head wound, he was ruled out and Andy Briggs restored to the side as was Joe Park, who came in for Stevie Pearson, who was on holiday, Joe Mason took Park’s place on the bench.

The two teams had enjoyed two tight games this season and, on a warm night, it was Steeton who edged ahead in the first 10 minutes. Graham Holmes found Ben Richardson marauding down the left and his finish looped over the Campion keeper to give Steeton the lead.

However there was a slight doubt to whether or not Richardson got the final touch or it came of a Campion defender.

The lead was then doubled when Andy Holden pounced on a loose ball in the box to rifle home on his 250th appearance for the club.

It was close to being three but Holmes’ shot on the turn just crept over the bar.

At the other end Elliot Scott made a great block and Michael Rhodes did well to intercept a through ball as Campion looked to get back into the game.

The third goal arrived a minute before half-time with Park surging down the left-hand side, he cut in and his strike hit the foot of the post only for leading scorer, Andy Briggs to hammer home the rebound.

At 3-0 at half-time it was just the first 45 minutes that Steeton had wanted and put them in total command.

The second period saw Campion come out stronger and Joe Mash did well to push a shot behind the goal.

With Tim Hird and Jonah Smith driving the team forward, Steeton were looking to get a fourth that would kill the game.

That duly arrived four minutes into the second period.

Quick-thinking skipper Rhodes slipped in Briggs who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner to put the game out of Campion's reach.

Steeton then replaced the tiring Briggs with Alex Yates and he went close to adding a fifth after great work on the right hand side from the industrious Toby Jeffrey, but was just wide of the target. Josh Eastwood came on for Richardson to sure up the midfield and he just pulled his shot narrowly wide of the post with the keeper beaten.

Alistair Morgan, on for Jeffrey, made a late surging run and also did well to get a block in as Campion looked for a consolation goal.

The win was probably one of Steeton’s best performances of the season. The back three of Rhodes, Scott and Park were outstanding and the midfield dominated the game, while the front two were just too much for Campion to cope with.

It was a fitting end to the season for Steeton who had won the Keighley FA Cup two weeks previously.

Manager Roy Mason said: "Tonight was all about the players and I was so pleased for them.

"The whole squad has given me everything all throughout the campaign and this was just rewards for all that effort.

"I would like to also thank the backroom staff of Adam Smith, Adam Longden and Pete Jeffrey as without their hard work and input we wouldn’t have achieved what we have.

"It was a fitting way to finish the season."

Steeton: Mash, Rhodes, Scott, Hird, Park, Jeffrey (Morgan), Holden, Smith, Holmes, Briggs (Yates), Richardson (Eastwood), Subs not used: Clarkson, Mason.