Steeton AFC 4

Leeds City 0

AN historic day in the long history of Steeton AFC ended in a thrashing of Leeds City as they emerged victorious in their first-ever game at the home of Keighley Cougars, Cougar Park.

Steeton started the game with a lot of intent and an attacking approach which paid off after only four minutes when a ball was played forward and then duly finished off by Andy Briggs. His deft lob was almost kept out by the goalkeeper but it trickled over the line.

However, the game took a little hiatus from the initial pressure and tempo that it started with, until Elliot Scott's cross-turned-shot deceived the visitors' keeper and rattled the bar before bouncing to safety.

Leeds struggled to get into the game as Steeton began to take a foothold in the game.

The home side's second goal came during this period as a trialist was sent in on goal and calmly slotted past the goalkeeper to double the host's advantage.

After this Leeds sparked into life. Joe Tasker tried to take it by the scruff of the neck and went close, before a surging run led to a team-mate firing over.

Matty Forbes in the opposite goal made a fantastic save to keep his side in the contest when Joe Mason's fantastic cross was met at the back post by Andy Lee but the outstretched hand of the stopper before going out for a corner.

Half-time came and went, but there was no let up for Roy Mason's side as Alistair Morgan headed home from a few yards out to put clear daylight between the teams.

The alterations at half-time clearly didn't have an effect on the hosts, who kept up their good work. Gary Driscoll - fantastic off the bench - looked to impress, the Chevrons were enjoying the occasion, playing some good football.

Steeton's final goal came 20 minutes from time as Driscoll slipped through Angus Maney off the bench and he got his first goal of pre-season to wrap up the game.

There was still time for substitute goalkeeper Joe Mash to be called into action, as he made a fine save seven minutes from time to preserve the clean sheet in what was an all round good day for Steeton.

Mason said: "I was very pleased with the performance and the way we kept our shape throughout the game.

"It was good to get Callum Meade involved after his injury niggle that had kept him out of our first few games.

"The lads who have come to the club in the last seven days have done very well given we haven’t had much time to work with them.

"At the moment it’s still work in progress and I would still like to sign a couple of players with a bit of experience at this level.

"Andy Lee will be a great addition to our team not only on the park but in the dressing room, he knows what it’s all about and he has that bit of quality to unlock defences

"We will continue to be working hard on the training ground to get things right before August 4.

"I’d like to also thank the groundstaff of James Yeadon and Rob Tosney who have got the pitch into far better condition that I thought possible a week ago and it will only get better from now on as well."