Silsden 2

Staveley Miners Welfare 0

SILSDEN marched on in the Buildbase FA Vase last night but not before a scare or two in the replay.

On five minutes, Silsden’s first attack led to the opener. Joe Gaughan, on his return to the Cobbydalers, slid the ball to Luke Baldwin who coolly drove the ball home.

The Trojans, a name believed to from Trojan images on grid covers produced in the steel works of Staveley, played some neat football with intricate passing moves but Silsden withstood the pressure. They even notched a second on 11 minutes with Gaughan celebrating his return to the Cobbydalers Construction Stadium with his first of the season.

It may have been against the run of play but it was a good lead to defend. Ellis Craven put in a great tackle and then delivered a super corner as he settled into the game but Tyla Bell broke down the right and crossed to Adam Baskerville, who saw his shot tipped over by Lee.

Skipper Sam Finlaw hit a 20-yard screamer past Lee’s near post before Connor Williamson was denied by Craven.

The Miners played some crisp football but the Cobbydalers' defence was quick to respond and when they were breached Lee was there in a flash.

They dominated for long periods but as the half came to an end Silsden began to create chances. Gaughan and Kirby look like they will be a force to be reckoned with. Both were involved in creating a chance for Baldwin and then Storrie intervened to feed Gaughan who shot across the goal.

Matthew Davies then began to torment the home defence with some slick footwork but Lee stopped everything before he required lengthy treatment.

Gradually the pace dropped, not surprising after Saturday’s two-hour battle.

Myles Wright saved from Storey and Kirby before Kendall found Gaughan who pulled the ball down before shooting marginally over.

The visitors still passed and moved but the chances they created were diminishing and the Silsden forwards began to exploit gaps at the back.

Wademan came on for the tiring Baldwin on 70 minutes. Silsden now had pace in abundance. Storrie set up Gaughan who shot into the side netting. Kirby had a shot deflected for a corner. Gaughan had a shot saved.

For the visitors it was now a case of do or die. Finlaw cut through and Lee pulled off a save.

Baskerville hit the side netting, Storrie produced a great tackle and Gaughan had a shot deflected wide.

Wademan rounded the keeper but was denied by Charlie Oglesby. It was like two punch drunk heavyweights slugging it out after 12 rounds.

Silsden will entertain Bedlington Terriers in the next round.