Silsden 3

Northwich Victoria 4

SILSDEN bowed out of the FA Cup at the second time of asking following a seven-goal thriller.

Danny Forrest's men fell to a winner four minutes from time from Northwich's John Connolly in this extra preliminary round replay.

The Cobbydalers started Tuesday night's tie on the backfoot as two goals from striker Robert Doran (25 and 26) saw them 2-0 down.

Silsden's Aidan Kirby won a free-kick on the right-hand side in the 32nd minute, but Dan Illingworth had his resulting effort blocked.

Matters went from bad to worse in the 35th minute when Thomas Kilifin made it 3-0 to the visitors when he lobbed home goalkeeper Alfie Darke.

But Liam Hudson gave Silsden a ray of hope five minutes from the interval to make it 3-1 after he was fed following a quick free-kick.

The second half of this pulsating cup tie was relatively uneventful with only a few half chances for both sides.

The pendulum in this replay looked to be swinging back in Silsden's favour as they made it 3-2 after 58 minutes.

Striker Aidan Kirby, who had earned Silsden a replay at Northwich in the original tie on Saturday, converted a penalty, firing low to the left.

It was set up for a grandstand finish as Silsden continued to press forward and Kirby's strike partner, summer signing Khurram Shazad, made it 3-3 in the 66th minute, beating his man and firing an effort into then top corner of the net.

Both teams pressed for a winner but it wasn't to be for Silsden as Connolly struck late following a bit of pinball in the area.

Forrest himself played for the last two minutes in a bid to force an equaliser.

Laurence Sorhaindo had a great chance for Silsden to equalise in the 89th minute, but he was denied by Victoria.

Despite their best efforts, it was all in vain as Silsden crashed out after four minutes injury time.

Silsden will look to bounce back from their cup exit when they entertain Maltby Main in the Cobbydale Construction Stadium on Saturday in the Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

Forrest's men are seventh after just one match, which ended in a 2-1 victory at Penistone Church on the opening day.

Silsden: Darke, Hudson, Kaine (c), Illingworth, Barnes, Bentham, Mitchell, McKiernon, Shazad, Sorhaindo, Kirby