STEETON travelled to a windy Emley on Saturday afternoon hoping for the three points needed to take them off the bottom of the league, but were taught a lesson by the second-placed side, losing 5-1.

Both teams had early chances in this North West Counties League First Division North clash, with the Chevrons going close first after Toby Jeffrey threaded a through ball to Luke Baldwin.

The in-form wide player just couldn’t get to the ball first, as the onrushing keeper dived at his feet.

That chance for the visitors got the hosts going and attacker James Eyles saw his header go narrowly off target after he found himself unmarked in the area.

Rob Bordman almost opened the scoring for Emley too, as he fired a powerful shot over after outmuscling Jerome White in the penalty area.

Daniel Thorpe was then called into action to deny Eyles, pushing the Emley man's powerful shot out from his near post.

Steeton were back in action shortly afterwards, as Jeffrey carried the ball forward before whipping in a low cross. The onrushing Kayle Price just couldn’t get the touch to turn it into the net.

The Chevrons then fell behind in the 39th minute. A corner was whipped in and Andrew Riordan found himself with the freedom of the six-yard box to head home.

The hosts doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time. After winning a contested free kick on the edge of the penalty area, Bordman stepped up and sent the ball into the top corner, past Thorpe.

Steeton halved the deficit five minutes after the break, as Baldwin received the ball on the edge of the box and cheekily lobbed George Clark in the home goal.

John Cyrus re-established the two-goal lead for the hosts, as the tall centre back made the most of poor marking to head past Thorpe with just over 20 minutes left.

Bordman then added his second of the game, as he found himself unmarked at the back post from a corner to fire past Thorpe.

Steeton had one last chance to score as substitute George Beaumont found himself in space on the edge of the box, but his tame shot rolled into the arms of the goalkeeper.

With almost the last kick of the game, Eyles got his goal. After a mix up at the back between substitute Elliot Scott and Thorpe, the winger took advantage to tap into an empty net.

Despite the scoreline, Steeton played well in spells in very windy conditions against a side challenging for the title.

The team will be looking for improvements though, when they host West Yorkshire rivals Shelley at Cougar Park on Saturday.