THE Cobbydalers travelled to Barton-on-Humber for this second round cup game. It was a game played at pace with both sides creating chances.

The Swans had the upper hand in the opening exchanges with Sammy Lee having to make a fine save after Kian Walter had broken down the right. Kyle Hancock then conceded a free-kick which Levi-Lewis Mitchell fired over the bar.

There were good breaks from both sides which came to nothing. Joe Mitchell’s crunching tackle denied Tom Waudby. The Cobbydalers were forced to make an early substitution when Bradley Riley went down injured on eleven minutes. Ben Clarkson was the replacement. The Swans had the better chances with Levi Mitchell curling a free-kick over the bar and Harrison Coley shooting wide of the far post.

Mitchell’s reading of the game was superb and he intercepted several balls before launching attacks, one of which saw Mohammed Quasim break through. He hit a diagonal ball towards the far post but Swans’ keeper, Luke Emery, just managed to clear it with his left foot. Quasim looked the most dangerous of the forwards.

After a reckless challenge by Hancock which brought the midfielder a booking, the Swans had a ten-minute spell where they dominated the game. Ben Hincliffe looked like he had scored at the far post after heading the ball towards the top corner of the goal but Barnes headed clear. The centre forward broke on goal again but was halted by Sean Airey’s well timed tackle.

The best chance the Swans had was when the Cobbydalers were caught too far up the pitch. Waudby ran from deep in his own half, with Silsden defenders unable to catch him. Luckily for the visitors, he shot high and wide of the Silsden goal.

In the last five minutes of the half Quasim sent over a tempting cross but there were no takers. Minutes later Khurram Shazad and Mitchell both saw shots blocked. At the other end Kian Salter almost scored from outside the penalty area but his shot rattled Lee’s crossbar.

Swan’s player-manager replaced centre-forward Hincliffe two minutes into the second half and he hit the ground running. However, it was the Cobbydalers who nearly broke the deadlock when Shazad set up Qasim who shot over the bar with the Barton keeper on the floor. On sixty-four minutes the Cobbydalers saw the welcome return of Mark Everingham who had finally recovered from a serious injury. Silsden’s best effort came when Riley set up Qasim, who couldn’t quite get his feet under the ball. Three minutes later Lee made a great save from Jarman.

The game flowed from end to end but neither side could land a killer blow. Lee saved low down from Salter, while Qasim’s effort was saved at the other end. Despite the number of chances, there were near misses and saves at both ends, one wondered if the deadlock would be broken. Cometh the hour, cometh the man or rather, the manager. Veteran Nathan JARMAN volleyed over Lee to put the Swans one up.

With twenty-six minutes left there was always a chance for the visitors. It took three minutes. Ben Clarkson headed the equaliser! The assistant’s flag was raised! V.A.R? Not available!

Chances continued at both ends in the final minutes. Khurram had two shots blocked and Everingham cleared off the line at the other end, but, at the final whistle, the result was all down to the Swan’s manager. Did the Silsden boss think of turning back the clock? Form is temporary but class is permanent!

A really entertaining game with both sides striving to win. Good luck to the Swans in round three.

BARTON TOWN FC. Emery, Lacey, Davie(Matthews 21), Coley(Baker 46), Hare, Tait, Waudby, Goddard, Hincliffe(Jarman 47),Lewis, Salter.

SILSDEN AFC. Lee, Parsons, Thompson(Fenton 30) , Hancock(Everingham 64), Airey, Barnes, Qasim, Mitchell, Billington(Clarkson 11), Shazad, Riley, Subs not used Illingworth, Forrest.

Referee. Mr. J. Wilkin. Assistants. Mr. S. Ridley and Mr. D. Shimmin