TRAWDEN Celtic Juniors took another step closer to the Craven League Premier Division title on Saturday after easing to a 4-1 win against Cowling at a sun-soaked Summerhill Lane.

George Watson’s double contributed half of the visitors’ total, while Jake Hart and Dom Broughton were also on the scoresheet for the league leaders in an emphatic win.

Second-placed Grassington United were also in action, but could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Cononley Sports Club, a result that now leaves them nine points behind Trawden, albeit with two games in hand.

In Division 1, champions AFC Crossleys were beaten for the first time this season at home to Ingleton, who extended their unbeaten streak to 10 matches in the process.

The talismanic Aaron Woodhouse gave the visitors the lead inside the opening quarter of an hour, but despite Ash Scully’s deflected effort levelling the scores at the interval, skipper David Easterby’s header midway through the second half ensured that the points returned to North Yorkshire.

However, things are continuing to hot up in the chasing pack in the race for promotion, with the sides from second to fifth separated by just one point.

Baildon Trinity remain favourites to finish second after edging out hosts iPlay 1-0, while fifth-placed Salts 3rds kept the pressure on with a 3-2 victory at home to Chatburn.

Despite a late cancellation of the fixture between Crosshills Reserves and Skipton Town Reserves due to a Covid outbreak in the visitors’ camp, there were still plenty of goals in Division 2, with both games sparking to life in the second half.

Goalless at the interval, hosts Bradley turned the screw against Barlick Wanderers, with Tom Palmer and substitute Callum Wooton helping them to a 3-1 win, while Sean Holmes netted a hat-trick as Grindleton built on their narrow half time lead to thrash Sutton 5-1.

Cononley Sports Club 2nds were the big scorers in Division 3 after putting five past Otley Town 4ths.

Colin Throupe scored a brace, while Josh Brown, Craig Ebbrell, and substitute Dale Mason also found the back of the net for the hosts, the win seeing them move onto 22 points and leapfrog their opponents.

With leaders FC Keighley United Open Age’s fixture at home to Carleton Sports Club 2nds cancelled, the only other match in the division saw AFC Crossleys Reserves score four second-half goals on their way to victory at Sutton Reserves.

The ever-reliable Morgan Bagley was on target twice for the visitors, who join Rolls Reserves and Settle United 3rds on 37 points, with midfielder Jack Kennedy’s effort proving a mere consolation for Sutton.

Teams were also in action in the league’s cup competitions, which are nearing the final stages.

Settle United Reserves progressed to the semi-finals of the Division 1 Cup with a narrow 1-0 win at home to Grassington United Reserves, while Kallum Kirk scored twice as Otley Town 3rds claimed a somewhat surprise 4-2 victory at home to 10-man Padiham FC Juniors to book their place in the final of the Division 2 Cup.

In the Division 3 Cup, Rolls Reserves scored twice in each half to cruise past Addingham Reserves in the final first-round match, with Sam Stansfield’s hat-trick helping Silsden Whitestar brush aside Skipton Town in a similar fashion to reach the quarter-finals of the Northern Plant Hire Trophy.