KEIGHLEY’S last trip to Huddersfield Laund Hill (then Huddersfield YMCA) was 10 years ago, when a 42-30 win proved key in their promotion to North East One.

A decade later, they were able to bank another happy memory, winning 29-12 there on Saturday after pulling away impressively in the second half, leaving themselves a point off the Counties One Yorkshire summit.

Keighley came into the game in confident mood having won nine of their previous 10 league games this season.

Conversely, Huddersfield had lost their last three and were sitting ninth in the league.

Despite a number of changes due to injuries and unavailability, this was still a strong Keighley side and they put on some early pressure with some powerful drives from their big pack.

Those took play close to the Huddersfield line, before a long pass to the right wing from Alex Brown gave Sam Blakeley the opportunity to step inside the covering defender and outside the last man to score in the corner.

Brown landed the conversion for 7-0, but sadly, in the build up, Keighley prop John Gibson sustained a serious ankle injury and was carried from the pitch, his game over.

From the restart, Keighley failed to secure possession and Huddersfield’s forwards drove play into visiting territory.

A break from their fly-half then took play deep into the 22, where the retreating defence was caught offside, meaning three easy points for Huddersfield.

After a period of Keighley pressure, a forward pass led to a scrum and then a scrum penalty for Huddersfield, who gratefully kicked to the Keighley 10-metre line.

From the resulting lineout, Huddersfield spread the ball wide and a Keighley infringement led to another home penalty and a further three points.

Strong Keighley defence kept Huddersfield penned in their own half, and after a sustained period of possession and pressure from the away side, second row Eddie Keighley broke the defensive line.

He released wing forward Max Wild to score in the left corner, with Alex Brown just missing the conversion.

For the final 10 minutes of the half, Huddersfield enjoyed their best spell of the game, forcing Keighley back into their own half for long periods.

As a result, two further penalties brought the hosts level at half-time, with the score locked at 12-12.

After the break, Keighley’s fitter and stronger forwards started to dominate Huddersfield in the set piece and the breakdown, keeping them in their own half for most of the second period.

A superb break from centre Jack Adams, followed by his near perfect kick to the Huddersfield line, saw Blakeley inches short of a touchdown.

But from the resulting Huddersfield scrum on the 22-metre line, Keighley forward pressure put the defence on the back foot.

That led to a penalty for the visitors, with the three points restoring their lead at 15-12.

After a short period of Huddersfield pressure, a superb 50-22 kick from fly-half Brown gave Keighley possession in the Huddersfield half.

Strong defence kept them at bay but Keighley’s forwards soon drove play back into the Huddersfield half.

Ben Parkinson and Blakeley both came agonisingly close to crossing the line, but fortunately, it was then a case of third time lucky for Keighley.

After a drive forward by Brown, the pass was played to hooker Sam Booker, who took the ball into contact before offloading a superb short pass to wing forward Max Wild.

He powered his way past the final defender for his second try, which was converted by Brown for a 22-12 lead.

Although Keighley continued to dominate territory and possession that crucial fourth try was proving elusive.

But with the clock ticking down, a series of rucks close to the Huddersfield line allowed Booker to pick the ball up and drive over the line in the corner to give Keighley the bonus point score, much to the delight of the players and travelling supporters.

The superb touchline conversion by Brown was the final kick of the game, as his side secured a 29-12 victory.

This coming weekend, Keighley are on the road again at Wetherby, who were promoted with them from Yorkshire Two last season.