STEETON continued their recent run of form by extending their undefeated streak within 90 minutes to nine games.

A spirited 3-3 draw away at promotion-chasing Holker Old Boys in the North West Counties Football League First Division North means, outside of penalty shootouts, the Chevrons have not lost since the October 8.

And while a share of the spoils was probably the fairest result on the afternoon, in truth Steeton felt like they should have returned home with all three points.

The game was a pulsating end to end affair from the first minute to the last, and that was showed within the opening 30 seconds as Andy Briggs thought he had broken the deadlock, before being denied by the offside flag.

However, with chances coming at both ends, it was the home side who took the lead in fortunate circumstances.

A cross into the area was met by Holker’s Sam Joel, with his effort striking the knee of Steeton’s Toby Jeffrey and coming back off the post.

Despite the best efforts of visiting keeper Stuart Cross, the ball managed to get over the line to give Holker an early lead.

Steeton not only struck back though, they turned the game on its head, with two goals in as many minutes.

A loose pass by the hosts on halfway was intercepted by Briggs, who skipped past the centre half to race down the slope before coolly slotting the ball beneath the keeper into the bottom corner.

From the restart, the visitors scored once again.

Josh Walne won the ball after cutting out a long pass and he fed Jeffrey, setting his winger free down the right channel.

From there, he delivered a pinpoint cross to the near post, where Briggs volleyed home at the first time of asking for his 17th goal of the season.

Now on the front foot, Steeton pushed to extend their lead, but Arale Mohamed saw his effort go high and wide after great work to get down the left wing and cut inside.

However, the two sides went into the break on level terms.

Foley Nkem gave a free kick away 30 yards from goal, from which William McGladdery took full advantage, sending the ball over the wall and into the top corner of Cross’ goal with precision.

The second half was played in the same vein as the first despite the deteriorating weather conditions coming in from the Irish Sea coastline.

Mohamed had the first real chance of the half, freeing himself inside the area after great work once more down the right from Jeffrey, but his effort curled wide of the far post.

The Somalian striker got his goal shortly after though.

Jeffrey was taken down on the far touchline for a Steeton free kick, the winger hauling himself off the ground to take the set piece.

He used the wind to his advantage, whipping the ball across the face of goal, where Mohamed was waiting at the far post to finish and restore the lead for the visitors.

The home side then laid siege to the Steeton goal as they looked to equalise once more.

Jonny Hodgkinson and Alistair Morgan both put their bodies on the line, with the former fortunate to not give away a penalty after appearing to bring down a Holker man inside the area.

The equaliser eventually came through home substitute Tom Dawson, the forward losing his marker inside the box to finish and make sure the play-off hopefuls gained a share of the spoils.

The point moved Roy Mason’s Steeton side up to eighth in the table, and they could move within three points of the play-offs with a win at Nelson this coming Saturday.