A TITANIC top of the table clash in Counties One Yorkshire between leaders Goole and second-placed visitors Keighley went the way of the hosts.

Their 17-0 victory in difficult, windy conditions moves them 14 points clear at the summit, and with just four games of the season to go, the title looks to be theirs.

Keighley's defeat sees them stay second, but they are now level on points with Beverley.

The West Yorkshire side will be determined to at least end the season as runners-up, as the higher they finish, the better their chances of being promoted.

Their game on Saturday was not one for the purist and Goole, with probably the biggest team in the league, took full advantage of their size.

They launched a series of forward-orientated attacks deep into Keighley territory and while the visitors' defence was largely solid, the constant pressure on them eventually told.

From a series of mauls following a lineout, Goole's tighthead prop Ryan Lamb was driven over to open the scoring.

Keighley responded with some good runs from their centres Sean Kelly and Adam Horsfall, but a combination of strong defence and handling errors kept them at bay.

Goole soon got back on the front foot, and once again, they drove the ball down the field.

Their efforts and tactics were rewarded with a second try for Lamb, leaving Keighley with a mountain to climb.

Towards the half-time whistle though, Keighley dominated play and were camped in Goole territory.

Eventually, prop Sam Booker forced his way over the line, but he was unable to make the grounding, which let the home team off the hook.

The second half was, in many respects, a much more even contest and there was a distinct contrast in strategy.

Keighley were intent on moving the ball wide at every opportunity, whereas Goole favoured a more direct, forward-orientated approach.

The weather conditions affected the handling and there were an inordinate number of scrums, which suited the more dominant Keighley side.

However, once again, try as they might, they were unable to break down a stubborn Goole defence.

Towards the end of the match, the stalemate was broken, as a series of Goole drives forced Keighley’s defence too narrow.

That gave the home attackers the chance to pass the ball quickly along the line, leading to a score in the corner for winger George Bastow.

That was added to by scrum-half Rhys Moore, with Goole's first successful conversion of the afternoon moving them 17-0 in front.

Keighley bravely battled towards the end, but were unable to put any points on the scoreboard.

Leaders Goole used their forward power well and this, combined with a determined defence, led to their deserved victory.

Despite the defeat, this was still a creditable on-field performance from Keighley, which should stand them in good stead for next week's away game against fifth-placed Old Rishworthians.