SILSDEN have missed out on the chance to move into the Northern Counties East League Premier Division play-off places.

A wonderful 2-1 win at high-flying Albion Sports last time out had given the Cobbydalers a real shot in the arm.

But up in a bitterly cold North Yorkshire last night, they lost 2-0 at mid-table Knaresborough Town, for whom captain Brad Walker scored both goals.

His opener came after only nine minutes, as he drilled a superb strike from outside the box into the top corner beyond Silsden stopper Kyle Trenerry.

The Cobbydalers tried to hit back, with one shot hitting the side-netting and another being superbly saved by home stopper Tommy Brown.

But they were indebted to Trenerry on the half-hour mark, as he made a sensational triple save to keep out a well-worked Knaresborough counter-attack.

It was all Knaresborough for the rest of the half.

George Thewlis came close, as he returned Trenerry’s poor clearance back towards goal from 30 yards out, narrowly clearing the crossbar.

The Silsden stopper made amends with a good save from Danny Edwards’ long range effort.

Jack Carr got through for Knaresborough but sent his chipped effort wide, before Trenerry made a great save to keep out a Thewlis shot that was destined for the top corner.

Things took a while to get going after the break, with the only effort of note in the opening 20 minutes of the second half being an Edwards shot that was poked just wide.

But Knaresborough added a second just before the midway point of the second half to just about kill the game off as a contest.

Carr did brilliantly down the left and Trenerry could only knock his cross as far as Walker, who was stood 12 yards out.

The Knaresborough skipper controlled the ball with his chest before drilling a volley into the roof of the net.

Town looked more likely to add a third than Silsden did to halve the deficit.

The home side came close to scoring again when they had an effort cleared off the line following a corner, before Edwards put the rebound wide.

The luckless Edwards had one final chance for Knaresborough, after being played in by substitute Rob Guilfoyle, but his first-time effort was well saved by Trenerry.

Silsden are in FA Vase third round action this Saturday, as they travel to face Newcastle University.

That tie up in the North East was called off last weekend due to a frozen pitch, but has quickly been rearranged.

Steeton were also in action last night, as they and Guiseley managed to squeeze in a hastily-arranged friendly behind closed doors on the artificial surface at Marley.

The hosts won 3-0, with their goals coming from Josh McKiernon, Toby Jeffrey and Jake Townsend.