Steeton’s trip to AFC Blackpool on Saturday was not the headline news story in the seaside town over the last few days.

A fire at the famous Blackpool Tower, which turned out to be a false alarm and just some orange netting, dominated the national headlines on Thursday.

Steeton’s game on Saturday did not generate quite the same interest, but they will not have cared too much, instead relieved to come back and claim a point from a 1-1 draw that ended their run of four consecutive defeats in the North West Counties Football League First Division North.

The home side dominated the first half, dragging one early shot just wide before having a goal from Luke Noble disallowed for offside.

Noble should have had an assist to his name soon after, only for Nicholas Hepple to miss an absolute sitter from three yards out.

Blackpool had a second goal ruled out for offside midway through the first half, and while Steeton finally created a chance when Luke Baldwin saw his shot blocked, the hosts took a deserved lead just before the break.

Hepple atoned for his earlier failure by heading home a corner via the post, which had been earned after another gilt-edged chance was missed by the home side.

Keighley News: AFC Blackpool celebrating the goal their first-half display deserved.AFC Blackpool celebrating the goal their first-half display deserved. (Image: Ian Meachin.)

But with the wind behind them after the break, Steeton came out looking like a different side in the second half.

Ben McCready’s free-kick five minutes after the break forced Joshua Woods into a good low save in the Blackpool goal, before Ezio de Santis almost found a way through for the Chevrons with a shot from the edge of the box that was well-gathered by the home stopper.

George Gomersall was next to try his luck for Steeton, firing a shot wide on the hour mark, before the visiting pressure finally told after 63 minutes.

It was Steeton debutant Freddie Westfall who equalised from close range, as he side-footed home McCready’s dangerous free-kick.

Gomersall and de Santis both went close again, the former having his shot saved, the latter curling an effort inches wide of the far post.

With the rain falling hard, Blackpool tried to retake the lead, with James Catlow forced into a fine one-on-one save, before Josh McKiernon’s deflected effort was saved by Woods.

Toby Jeffrey had an attempt that dipped just over the bar for Steeton, after a wild attempt from Blackpool had gone miles over from 20 yards out.

A chaotic end to the game ensued, with a Steeton corner causing panic in the home defence and leading to ferocious penalty shouts from the visitors that were turned down.

Blackpool instead countered and came close to going back in front.

After surviving that scare, Steeton almost netted their second, only for no-one to take advantage of the chaos Jeffrey’s high, hanging ball into the middle caused.

Blackpool sliced a shot wide from the edge of the area with a minute to go, before Westfall almost capped a memorable debut with the winner in stoppage time.

His header drifted just wide though, and instead it was the home side who had the last chance, only for them to blast a last-gasp free-kick harmlessly over the bar.

As it stands, with their home ground Marley out of action for now due to gas supply issues at the venue, Steeton are not due to play again until they host St Helens on Saturday, February 3.

They are likely to have some fixtures rescheduled for this month though, even if none are confirmed at present.