STEETON finally returned to action at Marley last night, with the venue hosting its first semi-professional football match in a month.

An gas supply issue had left the complex out of action, spelling fixture trouble for both landlords Steeton and tenants Route One Rovers, who had to postpone a raft of North West Counties Football League First Division North games as a result.

Steeton’s last home game was a 3-2 league defeat against Runcorn Town on December 16, while Route One have not played at Marley since a 2-0 win over New Mills in the Macron Cup second round on December 11.

The landlords made the first move back home yesterday, as they welcomed Knaresborough Town over from North Yorkshire for a friendly.

And the 60 or so fans that braved the sub-zero temperatures with a thrilling encounter.

Steeton acquitted themselves well, given Knaresborough play a step higher in the non-league pyramid, in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

But in the end, Knaresborough striker Aaron White proved the difference, scoring a hat-trick in his side’s 3-2 away win.

Marley was not due to host competitive action again until next month, but that date has now been pushed forward to Monday, January 29.

Somewhat appropriately, the return sees tenants officially host landlords, as Route One entertain Steeton in a league game.

Both sides have different needs, with Route One, in their first season as a semi-professional side after moving up from the amateur ranks, outside of the play-offs on goal difference currently.

Steeton meanwhile, might just be looking over their shoulders slightly.

A combination of poor form over autumn and winter, as well as those aforementioned postponements, has left them fifth-bottom, just seven points off the drop zone.

But, perhaps crucially, they have two games in hand now on that team seven points behind them, which is Shelley.

The Huddersfield side also have a significantly worse goal difference than Roy Mason’s men, which is effectively worth an extra point to the Chevrons.

Silsden have played much more football over the last month than their neighbours, but their League Cup second round tie at Tadcaster Albion continues to cause frustration.

After the disappointment of being knocked out of the FA Vase by Hallam last Saturday, they had the chance to bounce back immediately in the cup in midweek.

Keighley News: Silsden (red) suffered the agony of an FA Vase last-32 defeat on Saturday, but their cup appointment last night did not even go ahead.Silsden (red) suffered the agony of an FA Vase last-32 defeat on Saturday, but their cup appointment last night did not even go ahead. (Image: Mike Bayly.)

But a cold snap across much of the country meant last night’s encounter was called off due to a frozen pitch.

It has been somewhat farcical trying to get this game played in truth.

Taddy were initially meant to host Silsden for this second round tie on November 21, only for it to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

It was called off for the same reason on Tuesday, December 12, with the draw for the third round then made the following week.

Every other third-round tie had been confirmed by then, but still Tadcaster and Silsden waited to face off.

The two sides got set for a third go on Tuesday, January 2, but Tadcaster’s pitch sadly flooded, making any game impossible.

The fourth go at playing the game came this week, but again, the weather got in the way, with attempt number five pencilled in for next Tuesday.

Whoever wins this tie will host Knaresborough in the third round.